Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Installing OWB on Oracle 11g
Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310190] Mon, 31 March 2008 09:18 Go to next message
jide
Hello,
I installed oracle 11g on ubuntu 7.10 and wanted to install the Oracle Warehouse builder but it is not going.

I tried this from where I stored the installation files:
export DISPLAY=:0.0
./runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs

And I got these errors:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Note that I am doing a local installation.

Can someone give me some useful information on how to move forward?

Thanks
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310194 is a reply to message #310190] Mon, 31 March 2008 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
The same problem that is posted almost every day:

You don't have an X server running the installer can connect to, set that up first. (you must be able to run "xclock" for example)

If you want further help post how you are logged in, which X server you are running, and which Desktop environment.
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310228 is a reply to message #310194] Mon, 31 March 2008 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jide
ThomasG wrote on Mon, 31 March 2008 16:23
The same problem that is posted almost every day:

You don't have an X server running the installer can connect to, set that up first. (you must be able to run "xclock" for example)

If you want further help post how you are logged in, which X server you are running, and which Desktop environment.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was able to run xclock and I am running the GNOME environment. I do not know how to determine the X server which I am running.

I believe the problem is the way I installed 11g. I created an Oracle user using an example provided at pythian.com with the following:
root@idlebox:~# useradd -g oinstall -G dba -p password -d /home/oracle -s /bin/bash oracle
root@idlebox:~# passwd -l oracle
root@idlebox:~# mkdir /home/oracle
root@idlebox:~# chown -R oracle:dba /home/oracle

I later logged-in to the oracle directory using sudo su - oracle.
From there, I cd to the directory where the OWB installation files are stored and then ran the ./runInstaller command.

After some failures, I tried to install normally (not from the oracle user directory) and it was successful (the oracle installer window came out). But then as I expected, it said that OWB_ORACLE_HOME cannot be created on the oracle_base which was locked (see the first line of the Italics). So my problem is how do I unlock the oracle base -> /home/oracle which I created when I first installed 11g?

I thought the best way was to install it from the oracle user home directory but if I try it, I always get the initial problem which says that I cannot connect to X-Server.

Just a bit afraid to continue the installation to avoid screwing-up the server.

Thanks

[Updated on: Mon, 31 March 2008 12:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310229 is a reply to message #310228] Mon, 31 March 2008 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Ah, the ubuntu sudo thing.

Then the problem might be that you logged into Gnome with one user, and then changed the user to the oracle user in the shell session.

Then the oracle user doesn't have the right to connect to the running X server.

So either log into Gnome as oracle, or first run a "xhost +" as the user that is running gnome, so that anyone can connect to the X server.
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310246 is a reply to message #310229] Mon, 31 March 2008 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jide
Hello,

I did not see your message before I edited my last post. I tried xhost + after logging-in as a normal GNOME user and I got the same X-Server problem

Try to log-in into GNOME as oracle and also failed.

I used the script below to create and lock the oracle home. So what will be my username and password?

root@idlebox:~# useradd -g oinstall -G dba -p password -d /home/oracle -s /bin/bash oracle
root@idlebox:~# passwd -l oracle
root@idlebox:~# mkdir /home/oracle
root@idlebox:~# chown -R oracle:dba /home/oracle

Thanks
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310248 is a reply to message #310229] Mon, 31 March 2008 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jide
Hello,
I forgot to export the display, export DISPLAY=:0.0. Now I can start the installation from the oracle home but after the second step the installer issued an error:

"unable to create directory /u01/app/oracle/owb. You may not have the proper permission to create the directory, or there is no space left in the volume. Unable to create the Oracle Home you have specified."

I know for sure that I have enough space, so it is an access error.

Thanks
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310260 is a reply to message #310190] Mon, 31 March 2008 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> so it is an access error.
So change the permissions
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310262 is a reply to message #310260] Mon, 31 March 2008 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jide
Hello,

I have solved the access problem. The problem was that I created the OWB_ORACLE_HOME directory as root instead of as ORACLE_USER.

So, let me see how far I can go. Going to be a long night!!

Thanks.
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310265 is a reply to message #310262] Mon, 31 March 2008 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jide
Hello,

I was really going fine till I got this error message: Sad

"Error in invoking target isqlldr of makefile '/u01/app/oracle/owb/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbm.mk'

Please any idea that can help out will be appreciated.

Secondly, I installed 11g at /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1 and planned to install OWB at /u01/app/oracle/owb. Is that OK?

Thanks
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310274 is a reply to message #310265] Mon, 31 March 2008 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Probably something that is needed is missing from your system.

I guess you shouldn't have started the installation with "-ignoreSysPrereqs".

That really only works when you know BETTER than the installer what is needed where and how.
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310280 is a reply to message #310274] Mon, 31 March 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jide
ThomasG wrote on Mon, 31 March 2008 23:20
Probably something that is needed is missing from your system.

I guess you shouldn't have started the installation with "-ignoreSysPrereqs".

That really only works when you know BETTER than the installer what is needed where and how.

The last installation which gave the error was made without -ignoreSysPrereqs.
Re: Installing OWB on Oracle 11g [message #310725 is a reply to message #310280] Wed, 02 April 2008 03:57 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Are there any more messages that could point to the problem in the installation log?
Previous Topic: ORA-07217: sltln: environment variable cannot be evaluated.
Next Topic: Function Keys not visible to Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:48:53 CDT 2024