Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server (Oracle 10.1, HPUX)
Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310159] Mon, 31 March 2008 07:54 Go to next message
MELAKU
Dear Experts,
I define the following:
log_archive_dest_1 = Location = ..... MANDATORY
log_archive_dest_2 = SERVICE = ...... OPTIONAL

Now the local archiving is properly working. But the archiving to the remote stand by has error as:
ORA-16009: remote archive log destination must be a STANDBY database

How can I set the remote database to STANDBY.

Thank you
Melaku K.
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310169 is a reply to message #310159] Mon, 31 March 2008 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Well what is the remote database?
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310176 is a reply to message #310169] Mon, 31 March 2008 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Hi
I have two archive detinations as I discussed earlier. One is locally at the data center and the other is at the disaster recovery site. The loacl archiving is properly working but the remote archiving has error. The error message is the one that I put earlier

Regards,
Melaku K.
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310180 is a reply to message #310176] Mon, 31 March 2008 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
How did you create the remote database? Did you create it as a standby database (Creating a Physical Standby Database or Creating a Logical Standby Database)?
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310183 is a reply to message #310180] Mon, 31 March 2008 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Hi Ebrain,
Thank you for your promt reply. You see my aim is not to establish or implement Data Guard. I have just a physical database at my Disaster Recovery site. I just take a copy of the primary one. They are identical. I set one of my archive log destination at the primary (at Data center) and the other one at my copied database at DR site. I plan to have two archive dest (one at the data center) and the other at the DR site. But, as I said earlier I got the error. Probably, if you can give me a command to change the DR site database to STANDBY, problem might be solved. Because when I select * from v$database at the DR site the Database_role is not standby. Hence, I need to have archive file just at remote site. I am not now trying to have data guard as such
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310196 is a reply to message #310183] Mon, 31 March 2008 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
With that in mind, assuming you can map to your remote destination, you can set the log_archive_dest_2 to "location=<path_to_remote_site> ... OPTIONAL" or you can simply copy the archive logs to the remote site.
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310207 is a reply to message #310159] Mon, 31 March 2008 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Hi Ebrain
You suggested me two options:
1) to copy the archive log files
2) to set "location=<path_to_remote_site> ... OPTIONAL"

I am working now with option 2 but it requires me more than one hour to copy to destination and it is not confortable to remember always this thing and copy each latest archive logs to destination.

But, I found the second option good. I thought earlier too. But how can I specify my remote path. I mean the syntax. Do I need to write the service name or IP of the server or what? that is the problem that I have.

One more thing can you tell me also the command as to how I can start the corrupted or failed databse from archive files. I want to start my DR site database from the copied archive log files

Thank you
Melaku K.
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310210 is a reply to message #310207] Mon, 31 March 2008 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
For option 1, to overcome the forgetting, you could simply create a cron job to copy the archives over every 5 minutes or something.

For option 2, the path itself (ie. a directory location as /oracle/remote/archive that is mapped to the "standby" location) must be accessible by oracle. You can not use the SERVICE parameter without an actual standby in place.

For your remote "standby" database, you can follow this process (Manual Standby Database).
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310219 is a reply to message #310207] Mon, 31 March 2008 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Hi

Now, if I am succed with either of the two options, how can I now start my remote databse from the copied archive files. I copied these files on the path of the remote database where we defin its init.ora file. Now, to check whether my copied archive log files works, how can I start the databse from archive files?

Melaku K.
Re: Log_Archive_dest setting to remote standby server [message #310221 is a reply to message #310219] Mon, 31 March 2008 10:53 Go to previous message
ebrian
Check the link I provided above.
Previous Topic: unable to create the datafile which was deleted
Next Topic: RMAN Backups Schedule
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:22:40 CDT 2024