Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restoring database in other server after disaster (Oracle 10g on 64 bit)
restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309679] Fri, 28 March 2008 07:53 Go to next message
MIFI
Hi,
If we have a disaster ,where the Database server has gone and we can not use it again.

1) We do not have dataguard.
2) We have rman backup file of 2 days before (Full database backup). Rman backup with nocatalogue
3) Flashback log files
3) Archive log till yesterday
4) Export file of morning.

Can we be able to restore and recover our database in new server
if yes then how.

Because RMAN Backup has its DBID and the new Oracle software which i install on new server will be installed with new ID.

Please help me understand this thing (About target database)

Regards
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309685 is a reply to message #309679] Fri, 28 March 2008 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
You cannot restore (assuming you are using on-line backups - and, you don't backup your archive logs). The backup is 48 hours old, but you only have 12 hours of archive logs.

Fire your DBA and get someone who would be able to manage it properly.

PS: Oracle has a utility called DUL which can extract data from a "dead" database. Log a SR and ask them for it.
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309711 is a reply to message #309679] Fri, 28 March 2008 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIFI
I mentioned that we have archive till yesterday from six month.

Do we need to backup archive log with whole database backup in rman to lessen our pain.

If we have backup of whole database(it consists of spfile and control file) + archive in rman then we will be able to restore certaibn data or not.

Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309714 is a reply to message #309711] Fri, 28 March 2008 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes up to yesterday.

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309747 is a reply to message #309714] Fri, 28 March 2008 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIFI
yes do u have any solution
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309749 is a reply to message #309679] Fri, 28 March 2008 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
How large is/was your database?
How many datafiles?

[Updated on: Fri, 28 March 2008 12:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #309752 is a reply to message #309747] Fri, 28 March 2008 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have backup of datafiles and archived logs, so what is the question?

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #310100 is a reply to message #309752] Mon, 31 March 2008 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIFI
I am asssuming, if disaster happens.

It is not actual scenario.

The problem is that rman backup is of target database with specific DBID.

The new server with oracle installation will have different DBID.

So when i restore database by using rman it wil be looking for different Database identifier.

Another question at this point in time can i use Export dump file of previous day or it will be better to use RMAN.

Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #310106 is a reply to message #310100] Mon, 31 March 2008 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
DBID is not part of installation, it is... DB ID.
So there is no problem to restore with RMAN.

I wonder how you can restore with export.

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #310133 is a reply to message #310106] Mon, 31 March 2008 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIFI
When i connect to rman in target database (in New server) it will have different DBID.

I will place the rman bakcup of old database in flash_recovery folder of new host, so that the rman can pick that database backup, but the rman backup i am using does not belong to the current target database.

Controlfile of new host will also be different.

Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #310139 is a reply to message #310133] Mon, 31 March 2008 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
When i connect to rman in target database (in New server) it will have different DBID.

The target database does not exist until you restore it, you don't have a DBID.
You set it to restore the database.

You seems to not understand the principles of restoration. Please read Database Backup and Recovery Basics.

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring database in other server after disaster [message #310431 is a reply to message #310139] Tue, 01 April 2008 04:41 Go to previous message
MIFI
Thanks for your help, i just wanted to have steps regarding the restorationa and recovery of database when production database is no more and i have BACKUPSET of rman, which consists of controlfile as well as spfile, secondly i also have backup of archive log till previous day.

i wanted to know it beacause, previously i have been using RMAN to restore and recover production database datafile when production database is alive.

If i go to the new server with backup only RMAN will belong to new server, when i write target the target server will be new server but how rman look for the backup to restore file when this database already have controlfile and redo logfile and datafile.

In document they were saying we neeed to have Auto back FOR CONTROLFILE ON in RMAN, so that whenever there is a disaster, first we restore spfile from Auto back and then controlfile and then database.

But in above approach it is not clear that when i have full database RMAN backup controlfile will already be backup, why do i need AUTOBACKUP.

I just want to find out the step wise approach

If you could help me, i will be very thankful to you
Previous Topic: Starting Database from archive log files
Next Topic: RMAN BACKUP CONFIGURATION
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 03:19:41 CDT 2024