Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Clone using RMAN
Clone using RMAN [message #305763] Tue, 11 March 2008 22:39 Go to next message
dbasudar
Hi
I took a rman backup in oracle 9i on windows.using that backup,i tried to make a clone database.but when using "duplicate target database" command it shows an error that the there is no backup of the datafile.i have attached here with my error message.can anyone help me to make a clone database.
Thank you
  • Attachment: rmanclone.txt
    (Size: 4.10KB, Downloaded 1581 times)
Re: Clone using RMAN [message #305896 is a reply to message #305763] Wed, 12 March 2008 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
The log you posted isn't going to provide any help in resolving your problem. There's more to duplicating a database than BACKUP DATABASE and DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE TO 'rmanclone'.

You should read over Duplicating a Database with Recovery Manager and this will walk you thru the complete process.
Re: Clone using RMAN [message #306006 is a reply to message #305763] Wed, 12 March 2008 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kudur_kv
One simple question.

Are you trying to clone on the same server/machine or another?
because if you are trying to do this on the same server, you normally do not get this error.

You need to make sure that you have the necessary pfiles and controlfiles. you need to start the clone DB in nomount stage.

Yes. Read the documentation on the link provided by ebrian.

KV.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2008 09:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Clone using RMAN [message #306024 is a reply to message #306006] Wed, 12 March 2008 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbasudar
hi,
Im using on the same machine only and i kept my primary database in nomount stage
Re: Clone using RMAN [message #306032 is a reply to message #306024] Wed, 12 March 2008 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kudur_kv
Honestly, you need to read the documentation, understand the process to a certain extend and then try anything anywhere.

You do not keep the production in Nomount stage. The production DB has to be open, the test/dev database has to be in no mount stage. you dont even seem to have set a different name/path for your clone db. Where are the datafiles for the clone database supposed to be go? you need to specify that as well. for Example.
run {
ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL CH00 TYPE disk;
SET NEWNAME FOR DATAFILE 1 TO 'E:/oradata/clonedb/system01.dbf';
SET NEWNAME FOR DATAFILE 2 TO 'E:/oradata/clonedb/undotbs01.dbf';
for all the datafiles. you need to add the redo log files and the temporary tablespace file.
Remember that the RMAN backup does not consider the Temporary tablespace while backing up a DB.
Re: Clone using RMAN [message #309335 is a reply to message #305763] Thu, 27 March 2008 02:31 Go to previous message
Rajabaskar Thangaraj
Refer the below site.

http://www.idevelopment.info

----RMAN9i

with Regards
RajaBaskar

Previous Topic: Able to use undo tablespace after the datafile has been dropped
Next Topic: Backup Strategy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 04:44:21 CDT 2024