Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman original files to new host
rman original files to new host [message #296712] Mon, 28 January 2008 17:28 Go to next message
agemaia
hi friends,

in Oracle 9.2 I use rman to backup my full database to disk files. These files correspond to control files, archive logs, and datafiles. I want to use these rman files to create a new database or restore the database in other host. So I think I have to copy these rman files in new host (imagine a disaster in original host) and catalog them in new host.

Is it possible in Oracle 9.2 rman to use CATALOG BACKUP command? Is CATALOG BACKUPPIECE command an alternative?

Once I have cataloged these rman files I supose I can begin with rman recover and restore, don't I?

Thanks for answers.
Re: rman original files to new host [message #296725 is a reply to message #296712] Mon, 28 January 2008 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You can CATALOG your backups if they consist of image copies, datafiles, control file or archive logs. You can not catalog backup sets or backup pieces in 9i. However, if you only have backup sets/pieces, then you can create the same directory structure on the new host and place your backups in this directory path and you'll be OK.

You may want to review Restoring the Database to a New Host for all the details.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2008 19:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: rman original files to new host [message #296974 is a reply to message #296712] Tue, 29 January 2008 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agemaia
Thanks.

Imagin my rman set file in 'z:/rman/backuphost1'. I can copy 'backuphost1' file to host2 in same path (I have to create a unit with letter 'z:' and then folder 'rman' in host2). So I can't understand why rman in host 2 knows where 'backuphost1' file is.

If I copy 'backuphost1' to host2 rman backup sets destination folder I supose rman have not got 'backuphost1' in its catalog, so it can't use the backup file to restore.

What's wrong at above thoughts?

Is the solution if I use

ALLOCATE CHANNEL disk1 DEVICE TYPE = 'r:/rman/backuphost1';
#r:/rman is the host2 path where I copied backuphost1

and then I use SET NEWNAME to change the default (datafile) path from host1 to the desired host2 path?

Thanks for answers.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2008 17:07]

Re: rman original files to new host [message #296980 is a reply to message #296974] Tue, 29 January 2008 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
As part of the recovery effort on node2, you'd copy the backed up control file from node1. Therefore, RMAN will know where the backup files are located once you mount the host2 database with the backed up control file from host1.
Re: rman original files to new host [message #296984 is a reply to message #296980] Tue, 29 January 2008 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agemaia
Thanks ebrian.

Is one possible solution if I use

ALLOCATE CHANNEL disk1 DEVICE TYPE = 'r:/rman/backuphost1';
#r:/rman is the host2 path where I copied backuphost1

and then I use SET NEWNAME to change the default (datafile) path from host1 to the desired host2 path?

(supposed I want to respect host2 control file).

Thanks for answers.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2008 17:12]

Re: rman original files to new host [message #296990 is a reply to message #296984] Tue, 29 January 2008 19:24 Go to previous message
ebrian
The ALLOCATE CHANNEL won't allow you to simply place the backups in R:\rman\backuphost1 and have RMAN restore from there. RMAN's records (from the backed up control file from host1) still think the backups were produced to Z:\rman\backuphost1 and thus RMAN will look to Z: path for the backups whether you manually allocate a channel or not.

The SET NEWNAME will allow you to actually restore the files to a new location on host2 once RMAN finds the backups in the Z:\ path.

Are your questions just theoretical or are you not able to create a Z:\rman\backuphost1 directory on host2? Not sure I know what you mean by "supposed I want to respect host2 control file") ?

Sorry, I hope I'm following your questions.
Previous Topic: Clone only structure of 9i to 10g
Next Topic: RMAN-20003: target database incarnation not found in recovery catalog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:59:47 CDT 2024