Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target?
Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294240] Wed, 16 January 2008 23:28 Go to next message
sushilkumarmohanty
Hi all,

Is it neessary to configure sqlnet.ora to connect to target database in remote server.If so plz suggest me which parameters need to be configured.

Thank U.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2008 23:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed to connecting to target? [message #294243 is a reply to message #294240] Wed, 16 January 2008 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is it neessary to configure sqlnet.ora to connect to target database in remote server.
no

>If so plz suggest me which parameters need to be configured.
none
Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294247 is a reply to message #294240] Wed, 16 January 2008 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati
Please note that sqlnet.ora is profile for Oracle net [earlier release called it Net8, SQL*Net e.t.c.]layer. If you would like to have default behavior from your client/database than I must say you do not need sqlnet.ora at all. Just delete sqlnet.ora & Oracle net layer on your client/server will restore to defaults & continue to work smoothly.

Now question is that will you be happy with default Oracle Net behavior. The answer depends upon your Oracle installation environment. You as dba of your installation has to decide weather you need to modify any of sqlnet.ora settings or just their defaults are good for your environment.

There are a lot of parameters Which you can tune in your Oracle Net profile (sqlnet.ora). The complete discussion of them all is beyond scope of this note & for that you have to consult documentation which has multiple volumes dedicated to Oracle Net layer. If you want information on tuning a particular parameter than you are welcome to post back.

Regards

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2008 23:46]

Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294254 is a reply to message #294240] Wed, 16 January 2008 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sushilkumarmohanty
Thanks for your reply.
When I am using tnsping.

tnsping dolphin

TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on 17-JAN-2008 05:12:40

Copyright (c) 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = flash)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = dolphin) (SERVER = DEDICATED)))
OK (10 msec)

Dolphhin is my target database in remote server and hawk is my catalog database in local server.

But when I am connecting to the target through rman using the same alias it connects to same catalog database instead of dolphin(target).

bash-2.03$ rman catalog lman/lman target sys/$4$@dolphin

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: HAWK (DBID=2901805742)
connected to recovery catalog database

Can you plz tell me what's the problem with it.
and Can u tell me why
export TNS_ADMIN=$HOME is needed.

Regards,
Sushil

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2008 00:09]

Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294257 is a reply to message #294254] Thu, 17 January 2008 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati

My pleasure & Regards Sushil.

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]
Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294266 is a reply to message #294254] Thu, 17 January 2008 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If all you say is correct, then on dolphin the database is named HAWK.

Regards
Michel
Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294323 is a reply to message #294240] Thu, 17 January 2008 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati
Sushil, I hope either you have multiple Oracle HOMES or having multiple copies of tnsnames.ora with different definitions of dolphin identifier. Unix users normally end up having multiple copies of tnsnames.ora one in their home directory & another in TNS directory of oracle Home. Please check if you can resolve failing which proceed as given below.

TNS_ADMIN=directory location where file tnsnames.ora resides
export TNS_ADMIN
TWO_TASK=DOLPHIN
export TWO_TASK

(a) TNS_ADMIN can always point towards directory containing a valid tnsnames.ora.
(b) TWO_TASK can always point towards a particular Oracle net Identifier in your tnanames.ora. If using TWO_TASK than need not to specify a connect identifier e.g. @dolphin.
(c) By default TNS_ADMIN is assumed in $Oracle_Home$/network/admin directory.
(d) But if you set ORACLE_HOME to a valid installation than all others will be assumed at default locations.
(e) If every thing mentioned above fails than just navigate to bin directory of oracle home & fire tool of your choice i.e. sqlplus / rman & keep your tnsnames.ora in Oracle_Home/network/admin directory.

The Oracle Net is a multilayer, multi protocol & multi authentication scheme environment & is a full subject in itself.

Regards

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2008 04:11]

Re: Is sqlnet.ora is needed for connecting to target? [message #294373 is a reply to message #294240] Thu, 17 January 2008 06:25 Go to previous message
sushilkumarmohanty
Thanks Manjit.

Regards
Sushil
Previous Topic: Error in creating snapshot controlfile
Next Topic: Error in creating backup set.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:00:10 CDT 2024