Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Apply primary RMAN archive logs to standby database (10g r2 Standard Edition, Windows 2003)
Apply primary RMAN archive logs to standby database [message #293194] Fri, 11 January 2008 02:55 Go to next message
yamon
Hi,

I know that data guard is used in Enterprise Edition to apply redo logs from primary to standby on the fly, and on Standard Edition, you can manually copy archive logs to standby and apply, but is it possible for Standard Edition, to copy RMAN archive logs to standby and apply these, or does it have to be the original redo logs? I have read I can use RMANs DUPLICATE DATABASE FOR STANDBY, which will use RMAN redo logs at the initial creation of the standby database, but is it possible to apply RMAN archive logs on an ongoing basis after the initial creation, or do I need to use original redo logs?

If not, is it easy to extract the original redo logs from the RMAN redo logs?

Many Thanks for any info.
Re: Apply primary RMAN archive logs to standby database [message #293305 is a reply to message #293194] Fri, 11 January 2008 11:25 Go to previous message
DreamzZ
If i got your question perfect you tried to saying that how to apply archivelogs from primary to standby ??

Put the Standby database in RECOVER MANAGED mode by this command..

START PHYSICAL LOG APPLY SERVICE.

On the STANDBY database execute the following command to start Managed Recovery Process (MRP). This command is executed on Mount stage.

•	SQL> Alter Database Recover Managed Standby Database;

Database Altered.

By executing the above command the current session will become hanged because MRP is a foreground recovery process. It waits for the logs to come and apply them. To avoid this hanging, you can execute the following command with DISCONNECT option.

•	SQL> Alter Database Recover Managed Standby Database Disconnect;

Database Altered.

Now the session will be available to you and MRP will work as a background process and apply the redo logs.

You can check whether the log is applied or not by querying V$ARCHIVED_LOG.

•	SQL> Select Name, Applied, Archived
from v$Archived_log;

In Real Time Mode
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE USING CURRENT
              LOGFILE DISCONNECT;
Previous Topic: RMAN recovery asm backup to new database os file system
Next Topic: flashback database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 20:49:44 CDT 2024