Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » FILE LOCK (9.2.0.2 Wind2003)
FILE LOCK [message #286622] Sun, 09 December 2007 01:53 Go to next message
IBNHUSSAIN
Hello gurus,

I have a little doubt about the hot backup, please clarify me.

Q. At the time of backup using veritas on windows 2003 ee,
if i issue any query which need any data in the datafile being backup using veritas, what happens?
I get Error Ora-00376: file 11 cannot be read at this time.

when i check alert log i see this erro,
KCF: write/open erro block=0x2f online=1
file=11 <path>
error write file() failure
O/S-Error: (os 33) The process cannot access the file because another process has locke a portion of the file.
Automatic datafile offline due to write error on

By this we came to know that the datafile was being used by veritas.
But i would like to know, if it is online backup can't we access data in the file?, and if can't. will it shows any errors in veritas log file if we try to access the datafile being backup.

Please clarify me in detail.

Re: FILE LOCK [message #286628 is a reply to message #286622] Sun, 09 December 2007 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to first put your tablespace in backup mode before back it up with veritas.
If this does not work, maybe Veritas is not the correct tool to make hot backup on Windows. I never had this error with AIX but file locking mechanism is very different in both OS.
If backup mode doesn ot work, maybe you should investigate to either do cold backup or use RMAN (preferred way but you have to buy TDPO) or change your backup tool.

Regards
Michel
Re: FILE LOCK [message #286649 is a reply to message #286628] Sun, 09 December 2007 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IBNHUSSAIN
Dear Michel thanks for your reply,

Michel, the database is in backup mode and backup is fine but i would like to know, if any datafile is in backup mode and the users are doing selects or update on the tables of that datafile only. So will they get errors or not.

If no, from where they are getting data when the file is busy in being backup.

Please Clarify.
Re: FILE LOCK [message #286654 is a reply to message #286649] Sun, 09 December 2007 07:45 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It only depends on how the software locks the files.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: SCN no.
Next Topic: Problem with Recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:20:32 CDT 2024