Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost (9i)
Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost [message #285779] Wed, 05 December 2007 10:30 Go to next message
lm_suresh
Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost ( given in oracle Doc).

Scenario -1
Status of Online Redo -Available
Status of Datafiles - Backup
Restore Procedure-
Backup Restore a backup control file, perform complete recovery, and then open RESETLOGS.

Scenario -2
Status of Online Redo - Unavailable
Status of Datafiles - Backup
Restore Procedure - Restore a backup control file, perform incomplete recovery, and then open RESETLOGS.

I am practising all the scenarios in backups and recovery.
Could someone please correct me if anything wrong in the following steps for the above mentioned scenarios.

Database is running in archivelog mode and closed.

Scenario -1
(This is complete recovery)
1) restore only lost/damged datafiles and the control file from backup.
2) startup mount;
3) recover database using backup control file
4) apply all the necessary archive logs
5) alter database open resetlogs.

Scenario -2
(This is incomplete recovery)
1) restore all the datafiles and the control file from backup.
2) startup mount
3) recover database using backup control file until cancel
4) apply all the necessary archive logs and redo logs and type cancel when the oracle promts for the log file which is not avilable.
5) alter database open resetlogs.

Thank you
Suresh

Re: Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost [message #285780 is a reply to message #285779] Wed, 05 December 2007 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
1:Startup nomount
2:restore controlfile
3:mount
4:restore database
5:recover database
6open
Re: Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost [message #285781 is a reply to message #285779] Wed, 05 December 2007 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lm_suresh
Thank you for your reply.
I am not using RMAN.
I just want someone to check the steps which i have written to recover the control file based on the status of online redologs.
All these scenarios are given in oracle doc. i need to know the correct steps to perform.

Suresh.

Re: Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost [message #285786 is a reply to message #285781] Wed, 05 December 2007 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:

All these scenarios are given in oracle doc. i need to know the correct steps to perform.

If they are in Oracle docs, they likely are correct.

Regards
Michel
Re: Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost [message #285789 is a reply to message #285779] Wed, 05 December 2007 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lm_suresh
Michal

Only scenarios are mentioned in oracle doc,
Steps for both scenario are written by me.Is it possible to check whether it is correct.
Re: Scenarios When Control Files Are Lost [message #285793 is a reply to message #285789] Wed, 05 December 2007 11:39 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I'm surprised there is an Oracle documentation that talked about recovery scenario without giving how to recover.
Post where you found that.
Generally speaking, ALWAYS post the link and/or the book/chapter/section where you quote something from.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Incomplete recovery until Sequence
Next Topic: Archive log issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:48:17 CDT 2024