Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Incremental question (Oracle 10.2.0.3.0, OS: Solaris 5.9)
RMAN Incremental question [message #283634] Tue, 27 November 2007 15:38 Go to next message
Nasiobo
Please forgive what may be obvious questions to many of you, but, I'm trying to get a handle on what is going on with RMAN for my full understanding.

Oracle 10.2.0.3.0

The below is what is being run:

RUN
{
# RECOVER COPY OF DATABASE WITH TAG 'db1_incr_update' UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE - 7';
  BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 FOR RECOVER OF COPY WITH TAG 'db1_incr_update' DATABASE plus archivelog;
}

RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE;
delete archivelog until time 'sysdate -7';

Now, the questions.

1. From reading various places I see the "RECOVER COPY..." is not commented out. However, in my environment this line is commented out. What kind of issues will this cause? Does it matter? What kind of issues will it cause if I remove the comment and let this command now run?

2. Is it necessary to ever create a "full" backup? This is where I am a bit confused. What I would like to happen is for me to keep seven days worth of files. Am I safe to delete the 8th day backup? Does it create a full on the 1st day, then incrementals on the next six, then a full on the 8th? I'm not sure I understand this. Do I have to keep ALL my incremental files in order to restore?

For example, let's say I started this process on a Sunday, 1st. Each day it runs and creates an incremental. After Sunday the 8th am I safe to delete Sunday 1st file(s) ?

Basically, what I'd like to happen is to keep seven days worth of files. At any time if anything were to happen I should be able to take the past files and restore. Something of this order.
SUN 1st - keep
MON 2nd - keep
TU 3rd - keep
WED 4th - keep
TH 5th - keep
FRI 6th - keep
SAT 7th - keep
SUN 8th - keep (delete Sun 1st)
MON 9th - keep (delete Mon 2nd)
TU 10th - keep (delete TU 3rd)
etc ...

What would it take to make this happen using RMAN? Or, if not the "exact" scenario listed above something similar?

I'm just a bit confused on exactly what I am "safe" to delete in what I currently have running.

Thanks for any explanations. I have read several places to look for answers but nothing seems to tell me exactly what I'm looking for.
Re: RMAN Incremental question [message #283636 is a reply to message #283634] Tue, 27 November 2007 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nasiobo
Just wanting to provide as much info as possible. This is the actual script that is being run each evening.

RUN
{

#Persistant Settings - need to run ONLY ONCE unless change is required
#sql "alter system set CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME=35 scope=both sid=''*''";
#sql 'ALTER DATABASE ENABLE BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING';
#CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 4;
#CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/datamig/rman_backup/db1/%T_%U';
#CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
#CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
#configure controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to '/datamig/rman_backup/db1/cf%F';
#CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION on;
# End of Persistant Settings

#Custom Settings
#  ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/datamig/rman_backup/db1/%T_%U';
#  ALLOCATE CHANNEL c2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/datamig/rman_backup/db1/%T_%U';
#  ALLOCATE CHANNEL c3 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/datamig/rman_backup/db1/%T_%U';
#  ALLOCATE CHANNEL c4 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/datamig/rman_backup/db1/%T_%U';

#   RECOVER COPY OF DATABASE WITH TAG 'db1_incr_update' UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE - 7';
   BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 FOR RECOVER OF COPY WITH TAG 'db1_incr_update' DATABASE plus archivelog;
}

sql "alter system set user_dump_dest=''/opt/app/oracle/product/admin/db1/udump2''";
sql 'alter database backup controlfile to trace';
sql "alter system set user_dump_dest=''/opt/app/oracle/product/admin/db1/udump''";

sql "create pfile=''/opt/app/oracle/product/10gR2/db/dbs/pfiledb1.ora'' from spfile";

RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE;

delete archivelog until time 'sysdate -7';
Re: RMAN Incremental question [message #284732 is a reply to message #283634] Fri, 30 November 2007 13:45 Go to previous message
Nasiobo
Could anyone offer suggestions? Thanks!

-- Nas
Previous Topic: Best Method for backup of PROD environment
Next Topic: Incomplete recovery until change
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:18:28 CDT 2024