Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can I recovery the whole Database from failed media?
Can I recovery the whole Database from failed media? [message #281642] Sun, 18 November 2007 22:30 Go to next message
trantuananh24hg
Hi all!

An accident occurs to my DB server, all of SCSI disks have been downed, unfortunately, they have not configured by RAID controller.

At the time I write this thread, I am waiting for building again the disks using IBM's features, and I pray to God, they will be active again. If the worst thing happen, it's that all of DB will be lost, how do I do?

DB: 10.2.0.1

Thank your for your advice!

[Updated on: Sun, 18 November 2007 22:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can I recovery the whole Database from failed media? [message #281644 is a reply to message #281642] Sun, 18 November 2007 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
It is for cases like yours that folks have backups & tested (documented) restoration procedures.
So all you need to do is execute the step by step restoration procedures.
Re: Can I recovery the whole Database from failed media? [message #281645 is a reply to message #281644] Sun, 18 November 2007 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
Thank you, Anna!

The server has 4 SCSI disk, not using controller. I often backup all of database by piece backup to the another disk which is not OS disk. I hope that this disk may be active, then I recovery them. In this case. I am waiting for the recovery disk processing.

Re: Can I recovery the whole Database from failed media? [message #281649 is a reply to message #281642] Sun, 18 November 2007 22:56 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
The standard advice BEFORE you try any restoration, it to take a full,cold, OS backup of all the disks containing Oracle files.
By having this CYA backup, you'll be able to get back to where you are today.
Some attempted recovery actions can make a bad situation worse.

Exactly what you need to do, depends upon what you have after the system is turned over to you.

If data is not recoverable, the money not spent to provide the capability to recover & restore can be compared to the cost of the lost data & how to do damage control after the data loss.

LASTLY or FIRSTLY, you should open a Service Request via MetaLink

[Updated on: Sun, 18 November 2007 23:12] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Oracle Rman Incremental Backup
Next Topic: recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:33:41 CDT 2024