Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Enterprise Manager 10gR2: exit codes and dependencies (Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10.2.0.3; Enterprise Linux 2.6.9)
Enterprise Manager 10gR2: exit codes and dependencies [message #276905] Fri, 26 October 2007 13:46
dgillesp
There are two questions; both relating to Grid Control (GC) as a scheduling tool. Answer one or both or even just parts of a question; I'll be thrilled to get an answer either way.

#1: I can see that one can define dependencies between tasks for a multi-task job. I can't find anything about defining dependencies between jobs. Is this not possible in 10.2.0.3 Grid Control (GC)? If it is, where/how? If not, is this functionality in 11g GC?

#2: We currently have a 3rd party product as a scheduler and TSM as a backup product. We will be using RMAN for database backups. There is talk of dropping the 3rd party scheduler. Consideration is being given to using GC's scheduler or TSM's. Thoughts on:

- the benefit of scheduling database functions such as RMAN database backup and archive log backup through GC instead of through a general tool like TSM's scheduler.
- The strengths/weaknesses of using GC jobs as the single solution for an enterprise scheduler. Is this reasonable, or are there too many shortcomings (such as job dependencies?) with GC to fulfil this function ?

I have seen or heard things during training or other reading and research on GC that leave me with a gut feeling that we want to have GC manage DB backups rather than TSM, but I just don't have anywhere near enough experience with the product to present an articulate defence of that feeling. So any help would be greatly appreciated. This also means that if my gut feeling is wrong, please do not hesitate to set me straight!

Thanks
Previous Topic: how to backup
Next Topic: Failed to connect to database instance (DBD ERROR: OCISessionBegin)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:19:52 CDT 2024