Home » Infrastructure » Windows » How do I set the very large memory - VLM in windows 2K3?
How do I set the very large memory - VLM in windows 2K3? [message #275592] Mon, 22 October 2007 00:06 Go to next message
trantuananh24hg
Dear all!

I have an Oracle Database in IBM server with 8GB memory?
Following the Oracle document for VLM with Windows 32bit, I changed some parameter like:

1/ Set the boot.ini file by adding :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" [B]/3GB[/B] /noexecute=optout /fastdetect [B]/PAE[/B]

Note: Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q268363 & Q171793 to know enabling 4GB support in applications

2/ Restart Windows.

3/ Set the Oracle parameter USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS=TRUE

4/ Set these parameters DB_BLOCK_BUFFER and DB_BLOCK_SIZE to a value.

However, with the default DB_BLOCK_BUFFER is set to 0 (My Oracle Database used SGA_TARGET), and DB_BLOCK_SIZE = 8192byte = 8MB. I have not known how are the value will I set those parameters? Please instruct me.

5/ Following the Oracle document:
Quote:

Registry parameter AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY must be created and set in the appropriate key for your Oracle home. This parameter is specified in bytes and has a default value of 1 GB. AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY tells Oracle Database how much of its 3 GB address space to reserve for mapping in database buffers.

This memory comes from the 3 GB virtual address space in Oracle Database, so its value must be less than 3 GB. Setting this parameter to a large value has the effect of using more of the address space for buffers and using less AWE memory for buffers. However, since accessing AWE buffers is somewhat slower than accessing virtual address space buffers, Oracle recommends that you tune these parameters to be as large as possible without adversely limiting database operations.

In general, the higher AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY is set, the fewer connections and memory allocations will be possible for Oracle Database. The lower AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY is set, the lower the performance.

What's the AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY?
Where can I find it?
What's the value of it can I set?

6/ Following the Oracle document:
Quote:

Once this parameter is set, Oracle Database can be started and will function exactly the same as before except that more database buffers are available to the instance. In addition, disk I/O may be reduced because more Oracle Database data blocks can be cached in the System Global Area (SGA).

Note:
Registry parameter VLM_BUFFER_MEMORY, which enabled VLM configurations in earlier releases, is not supported in Oracle Database 10g Release 1 (10.1) or later.

What's the parameter VLM_BUFFER_MEMORY? It belongs to Oracle or Windows?
How and where I find and set value for it?

Thank you very much!

[Updated on: Mon, 22 October 2007 00:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I set the very large memory - VLM in windows 2K3? [message #277178 is a reply to message #275592] Mon, 29 October 2007 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oyunbold
It's my problem he he
\\HKLM\Software\Oracle\HOME0\AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY=5368709120
\\HKLM\Software\Oracle\HOME0\AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY=102400
it's value string or dword i don't known
you increase buffer_size SGA > 1.6gb

[Edit MC: remove the useless quoting whole OP message to only keep the meaningful part]

[Updated on: Tue, 06 November 2007 07:22] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I set the very large memory - VLM in windows 2K3? [message #278931 is a reply to message #277178] Tue, 06 November 2007 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
Yeah!

Really, I setup AWE successfully, but an error I got, this does not match to use both of SGA_TARGET and USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS parameter together.

Then, I decide that I not use AWE.

Regards!
Re: How do I set the very large memory - VLM in windows 2K3? [message #279085 is a reply to message #278931] Tue, 06 November 2007 20:17 Go to previous message
Oyunbold
Windows 2003 32bit not support Virtual address space > 4gb
You change x64 bit Windows 2003 (Virtual address space = 16TB)
Previous Topic: Changing the current directory while running an SQL script
Next Topic: Missing OLEDB Provider in Windows 64 bit XP when installing Oracle 10g R1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:46:59 CDT 2024