Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN backup issue
RMAN backup issue [message #274191] Mon, 15 October 2007 00:30 Go to next message
kamragulshan
I have oracle 10g on solaris. I have configured RMAN on windows machine and need to take the backup of database through RMAN.
My database size is 700GB and currently the bulk load is running on the database through automated process. This load actually drop the tablespace and then recreate the tablespace and then insert the data through sqlloader.
Now my question is " Whether the backup will fail when at the time backup is running and simultaneously one of the process is dropping the tablespace"
If the backup failed then what is the alternative solution.
Currently archive log size is more than 1.5TB and per day, it is generating around 150GB archive log files and now it became very hard to manage the archive log files.

Please suggest to solve the issue

Thanks in Advance
Gulshan
Re: RMAN backup issue [message #274197 is a reply to message #274191] Mon, 15 October 2007 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It is recommended to make backup out of peak hours.
So don't do it during this bulk load.
You will benefit of higher performances and no more have to worry about this kind of absurdity to backup during database structure modification.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN backup issue [message #274219 is a reply to message #274191] Mon, 15 October 2007 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamragulshan
We are using ArcServ backup agents for taking the backup of Database and two times our backup failed just because of some structural modifications. It failed by throwing the below error:

controlfile fixed table inconsistent due to concurrent updates

The other thing is that how should i handle archive log files as it is generating around 150GB of archivelog files in a single day. I cannot provide that much amount of space as i have already given 1.5 TB of space for storing archivelog files.

Till now i did not find the best way to handle this situation.

Please provide your valuable input on the above.

Thanks
Gulshan
Re: RMAN backup issue [message #274226 is a reply to message #274219] Mon, 15 October 2007 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is what I said: don't backup during database structure modification.

Why are you keeping 1.5Tb of archived logs? You only need those since the beginning of the last backup (or last 2 or 3 depending on you policy).

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN backup issue [message #275917 is a reply to message #274219] Tue, 23 October 2007 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kudur_kv
We are using ArcServ backup agents for taking the backup of Database and two times our backup failed just because of some structural modifications. It failed by throwing the below error:

controlfile fixed table inconsistent due to concurrent updates

What were the 'Structural Changes'?
Re: RMAN backup issue [message #275952 is a reply to message #275917] Tue, 23 October 2007 08:41 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:

This load actually drop the tablespace and then recreate the tablespace

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: RMAN Restoration
Next Topic: Rman Backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:48:27 CDT 2024