Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » May I install DB Management additionally?
May I install DB Management additionally? [message #269179] Thu, 20 September 2007 23:53 Go to next message
trantuananh24hg
Dear all!

Our DB server without DBConsole Service, so that, I can not manage it from DB Management through Web Server.

Would you like to provide me the method?

My OS: Windows 2003 Server
My Database: Oracle Database Release 2.

Thank you very much!
Re: May I install DB Management additionally? [message #269180 is a reply to message #269179] Thu, 20 September 2007 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mson77
Hello trantuananh24hg,

Just run:
C:\> emca -repos create
C:\> emca -config dbcontrol db

Regards,

mson77
Re: May I install DB Management additionally? [message #269181 is a reply to message #269179] Thu, 20 September 2007 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Our DB server without DBConsole Service, so that, I can not manage it from DB Management through Web Server.

Those who live by the GUI, die by the GUI.

A webserver is NOT required to manage any Oracle database, if you know more than just POINT & CLICK!

Re: May I install DB Management additionally? [message #269182 is a reply to message #269181] Fri, 21 September 2007 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mson77
Hello trantuananh24hg,

If I were you... I would follow anacedent suggestion.
She is absolutely right.

Also... to use OEM... you should pay for additional license. Think about it.

Regarding OEM... I have read this below:
Quote:
I heard a bad news from someone that one of his colleagues dropped an Oracle schema by mistake in Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), because the OEM seems in hang status, so they did some random mouse clicks or did some random key strikes. The whole database is 500GB, running in no archive log mode, almost all the data in this database is lost now.

This is not the first time of this kind of mistakes, someone dropped a tablespace in OEM by mistake because the OEM hang up. And somebody drop some tables in Toad and PL/SQL Developer by typing wrong key or wrong mouse click. In my tools design, I will not include this kind of features, as a matter of fact, the people who made the mistake may not know how to drop a schema with objects in command line tools, he may not know how to drop a tablespace with segments in it. But they made this kind of mistakes in GUI tool easily.

Of cause, OEM is not the root cause, they can control the access, they should take backup of their database. But I have heard at least 3 issues caused by OEM hang.

So create a read only account for OEM, do not make changes to database with OEM, and don't think that you will never make this kind of mistake. Good luck!

The original you will find here.

Regards,

mson77
Re: May I install DB Management additionally? [message #269184 is a reply to message #269179] Fri, 21 September 2007 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
Yeah!

Thank you, Mson and anna!

I will consider carefully.

Thanks again!
Re: May I install DB Management additionally? [message #270476 is a reply to message #269179] Thu, 27 September 2007 02:51 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
@anna!

Your advise is very useful. Recently, my owned database which is controlled by OEM had been down, however, the mistake occurred by only statement "Drop tablespace REPL including contents and datafiles", it's issued by TOAD. I did not know exactly the reason.

Fortunately, I have all of backup datafile, and it's easily to recover database.

But, can I use OEM to generate only AWR report and view the TopSQL?

Thank you very much.
Previous Topic: Tablespace monitor
Next Topic: Oracle Administration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:12:27 CDT 2024