Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » master db in archive mode and slaves not
master db in archive mode and slaves not [message #267436] Thu, 13 September 2007 05:07 Go to next message
meggens
Hi,

I've followinf situation:
1xmaster database server oracle 9i
3xslave database servers oracle 9i

The databases on the slaves are exact copies of the master. The slaves are refreshed every night by a san-sync. The san-sync copies all the datafiles/redo logs and control files to the slave servers. On the master database DML is executed so all changes to the data are made on the master database, the slaves are static. All the databases are in no-archivelog mode.

Rigth now I don't have a backup of the master database and I would like to implement a hot rman backup.

questions:
can I just run the master database in archivelog mode without turning on archiving on the slaves? I guess this might be a problem because archiving is turned on at database level ('alter database archivelog'). What will happen when I sync the master database to the slaves when the master database is in archivelog mode and the slaves are not. Please note we don't sync spfile/pfile.

regards,
Martin

Re: master db in archive mode and slaves not [message #267441 is a reply to message #267436] Thu, 13 September 2007 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

I don't think there will be any problem. Archiving is not related with synchronization. Both are different and mutually exclusive.
Re: master db in archive mode and slaves not [message #267460 is a reply to message #267441] Thu, 13 September 2007 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Arju wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 06:12
I don't think there will be any problem. Archiving is not related with synchronization. Both are different and mutually exclusive.

This is not correct. The archive mode is maintained in the control file. If the OP is copying the controlfile, then if the MASTER is in ARCHIVELOG mode, then the slave will be in ARCHIVELOG mode.

@OP...Why wouldn't you sync the spfile/pfile? What happens if you make a change in the master that doesn't get reflected in the slaves? What means are you using to actually do the sync?
Re: master db in archive mode and slaves not [message #267465 is a reply to message #267436] Thu, 13 September 2007 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

Thanks Brian.
Re: master db in archive mode and slaves not [message #267495 is a reply to message #267460] Thu, 13 September 2007 08:54 Go to previous message
meggens
Hi,

Thanks for all the input.
Not syncing the spfile is the current situatieon I can change this.

This database is hosted for one of our customers and the design is done before I started working for this company.

The database contains laws, these laws are maintained on the master database and during the night we copy the database to the slave databases and the new and maintained laws become public available.

I know there are more nice solution, for example by appling the archivelogs to the slaves but that is not what I want right now. I just need to backup the master database.

From you answer I understand it's best to put them all in archive log mode.

Previous Topic: oracle 10g (RMAN)
Next Topic: size of archive logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 13:42:44 CDT 2024