Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » default location for rman log
default location for rman log [message #237687] Tue, 15 May 2007 08:27 Go to next message
jlink
Help, I'm trying to troubleshoot a script left by a former worker. If you are running rman from the command line and don't specify the LOG option to have RMAN write the output to a specified log file where does the log file go?
TIA,
Joan
Re: default location for rman log [message #237693 is a reply to message #237687] Tue, 15 May 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Afaik, if you don't specify a log file there is no log file.

Regards
Michel
Re: default location for rman log [message #422451 is a reply to message #237687] Wed, 16 September 2009 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checkpoint
Just clarifying -- Oracle docs show the following:

"LOG = Specifies the file where Recovery Manager will record RMAN output, that is, the commands that were processed and their results. If you do not specify this argument, then RMAN writes its message log file to standard output. "

That being said, if you don't specify a log then it appears your standard output is the terminal. (So no log -- sorry.)

Re: default location for rman log [message #422497 is a reply to message #422451] Wed, 16 September 2009 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
WOW...responding to a post over two years old with the same information that Michel mentioned over two years ago?
Re: default location for rman log [message #422559 is a reply to message #422497] Thu, 17 September 2009 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checkpoint
Yeah, oddly enough my understanding of these boards is that they are supposed to be helpful. That said, it seemed logical to provide as much insight to an answer as possible.

I realize the thread is two years old -- that has little to do with anything. The information I provide is NOT to resolve a problem for Michel, Joan, or anybody who cared about the thread two years ago. (If they haven't fixed their problem, they're likely unemployed by now.)

Michel's response was prefixed with "As far as I know" -- which typically means a person believes something to be correct, without having the facts to support a position. My own response was offered as a courtesy to others (Michel included, as I validated their position) -- hence, my opening of "just clarifying".

Since these boards are searchable, it's likely that any thread from previous years may be accessed in seeking resolution to an issue. To run across a partial answer or a thread that was dropped before the resolution was reached is one of the most annoying things about boards (Metalink, Orafaq, or any other). Realizing somebody may hit this question down the road, I simply provided the actual quote from Oracle documentation so that a future user wouldn't have to wonder if the "AFAIK" was correct or just one user's belief.

Thanks for taking the time to inquire about my post.
Re: default location for rman log [message #422564 is a reply to message #422559] Thu, 17 September 2009 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Just a point on your post, you should have posted a link to the documentation not just quoted it (no one is supposed to trust you too).

Regards
Michel
Re: default location for rman log [message #422570 is a reply to message #422564] Thu, 17 September 2009 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checkpoint
Thanks, Michel -- you're absolutely right!

Interestingly, the system won't let me post it in this message. Stand by for one follow-up with the links.
Re: default location for rman log [message #422571 is a reply to message #237687] Thu, 17 September 2009 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checkpoint
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta013.htm#sthref259

(or if it was version 9i)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/rcmsynta13.htm

Turns out you're not allowed to post links until you've posted at least five times. I don't normally have much to say, so it's taken a year to get here.
Re: default location for rman log [message #422603 is a reply to message #422571] Thu, 17 September 2009 12:29 Go to previous message
ebrian
I realize your intent and appreciate your response. Guess I was surprised to see someone registered for almost a year taking the effort to respond to such a insipid thread.

However, an important point that Michel pointed out is without a link to the documentation, other people that stumble upon this thread may think they are out of luck without specifying a LOG parameter. A link to the documentation (10g) would indicate that even without a LOG parameter, V$RMAN_OUTPUT could potentially still be referenced for this information.

Course without a DB version, a link to the documentation may have been irrelevant.

Welcome back to the forums!
Previous Topic: duplicate database for standby fails
Next Topic: Unable to run RMAN script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:54:43 CDT 2024