Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » disk size is full due to RMAN backups
disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #236577] Thu, 10 May 2007 05:07 Go to next message
sreehari
Hi all

I am Jr.DBA not having much knowledge on RMAN.
frequently i am getting my disk full becoz of RMAN backups.

At present we have a backup strategy of

Every Sunday Full backup
Every day incremental backup

Yesterday i am forced to delete archive log files of couple of days back to clear some space.

Please suggest me ..is this a right way of dealing with this.
or can i goahead deleting any other backupsets.

last full backup was on 6th May 2007, after that incremental backups are being taken everyday.

please tell whether i can delete manually any of these backup sets.
Do i need to give any commands at command prompt after deleting those backup files manually..

Please suggest me in this regard.

Thanks
Re: disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #236635 is a reply to message #236577] Thu, 10 May 2007 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
YOu have to post Oracle Version also.
Yesterday i am forced to delete archive log files of couple of days back to clear some space.
No, it is not right way when you use RMAN backup method.

for this you have to configure retention period and for archive log you have to use "ALL DELETE INPUT" OR "DELTE INPUT" keyword with "BACKU ARCHIVELOG ALL" then oracle take care of your archive log files.

you also post what is your DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE parameter value. if you configure flash_recovery_area.

Regards
Taj

go through below link for more details
http://tahiti.oracle.com ---Any Oracle Version
for inshort
http://dbataj.blogspot.com/2007/01/about-rman-backups.html---If 10g.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2007 07:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #236642 is a reply to message #236577] Thu, 10 May 2007 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sreehari
Thanks for ur response.

We are using Oracle 10g
DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE is set to 150GB
Retention policy is 4 days..

can you please give me the sequence of RMAN commands that can help me resolve this disk space issue.

Thanks
Re: disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #237560 is a reply to message #236577] Mon, 14 May 2007 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
n_de_fontenay
Hi.

after you connect to RMAN, you can use the command:

show all;

it will show all the parameters of your database.

Then, you should check the following:

1) are you using a backup recovery window period, how much... Maybe you should reduce it a bit...

to change this: configure retention policy to recovery window of X days; (change the X to a number of days)

2) Are you backing up your spfile and control files automatically?

configure controlfile autobackup on;

3) In case of a crash of your server where you would get only a tape to recover your database, do you know your DBID? This is an information that should be stored somewhere safe (like in a safe for instance) to get this DBID: select DBID from v$database;

Finally, don't forget that an untested procedure is a non working procedure. Perform a recovery!

For the maintenance of disk spac:

yo can use the command:

delete obsolete;

It will delete the obsolete backups older than your recovery window (everything older than X days).
but it won't delete your archive logs.

To delete your archivelog, use the command given above.

Finally, if you've deleted archive log manually, there will be discrepencies between the archivelog actually present and the backup repository. To update your repository, use the command crosscheck;

[Updated on: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #237576 is a reply to message #236642] Tue, 15 May 2007 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

RMAN>report obsolete; 
RMAN>delete obsolete;

The term obsolete does not mean the same as expired. 
RMAN>crosscheck backup;
RMAN> crosscheck archivelog all;
In short, obsolete means "not needed," whereas expired means "not found."
RMAN> delete expired backup;
RMAN> delete expired archivelog all;
The CROSSCHECK command does not delete operating system files or remove repository records. You must use the DELETE command for these operations

Re: disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #302066 is a reply to message #237560] Fri, 22 February 2008 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PhilDavidson
Can RMAN's retention policy apply to archived redo logs, so that they don't accumulate forever?

After I back up archived redo logs, I know I can ask RMAN to delete the local copy of the logs that were backed up. What do I do if I want to discard the backup eventually?
Re: disk size is full due to RMAN backups [message #302076 is a reply to message #302066] Sat, 23 February 2008 00:56 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
RMAN retention policy applies on backup not on current files.
So it applies on backup of your archived logs but not on the archived logs themselves.
You can discard the backup of archive logs using the FROM SEQUENCE clause.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Backup using RMAN
Next Topic: Backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:58:52 CDT 2024