Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Dataguard info
Dataguard info [message #215264] Sat, 20 January 2007 04:49 Go to next message
unre4l
Can someone please clarify this for me
We are planning to implement a primary and standby database server configuration using Dataguard. I wanted to know where the Dataguard broker if used sits in.
If we decided to use DG broker do we need an additional server where the broker is installed apart from the primary and standby servers?
Does using DG broker involve deploying grid agents to the primary and standby servers?
If we are going to be using just one primary server and 1 standby server and dont plan to add any more standby servers, is it simpler just to do it without using the DG broker?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Dataguard info [message #215288 is a reply to message #215264] Sat, 20 January 2007 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Since you mentioned Grid, I'm going to assume you are on 10g. Therefore, you may want to follow Data Guard Concepts and Administration which describes the Data Guard option and walks you through the process of setting up and configuring it. You do not need a third server for DG Broker, it will be integrated into your primary and standby server.
Re: Dataguard info [message #215303 is a reply to message #215288] Sat, 20 January 2007 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unre4l
Thanks for your reply. I have looked into some of the docs and I did not see anything in particular about a third server being needed but it made it seem that it was different from the primary and secondary. Hence i asked the question. Yes we will be using 10g r2. So does that mean we will have to install the grid agents and things for this to work. I wanted to know how much overhead it adds and if it does involve installing the agents and things then are they stable?

Thanks.
Re: Dataguard info [message #215304 is a reply to message #215303] Sat, 20 January 2007 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Installation of the GRID agents aren't required unless you want to administer the servers via GRID control.
Re: Dataguard info [message #215534 is a reply to message #215264] Mon, 22 January 2007 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ualual
Question
If we decided to use DG broker do we need an additional server where the broker is installed apart from the primary and standby servers?

Answer NO. You don't need a server for DG.
On a PC (not a server), install the 10g Client, (the admin option ). Once installed, fix the sqlnet file to see your DATABASES.
startup the dg

c:>dgmgrl name/pwd@name

Question
Does using DG broker involve deploying grid agents to the primary and standby servers?
Answer
Already answer by another thread

Question
If we are going to be using just one primary server and 1 standby server and dont plan to add any more standby servers, is it simpler just to do it without using the DG broker?

Answer
You can of course, do the switchover, etc without DG, but I like it because there a pc out there monitoring both system for you.

I like the ability to switchover, or FAST-SWITCH, via DG prompts..

I don't like that all of DG is DOS windows command lines..but it will do.

I don't like another "point" of failure. Meaning, the PC that is monitoring the system can go SOUTH (inop,etc). There can be a problem within itself.

p
Re: Dataguard info [message #217712 is a reply to message #215264] Mon, 05 February 2007 00:22 Go to previous message
sharan alva
The dataguard broker is another layer of centralized management. It essentially consists of the dmon process on the primary and standby along with the metadata ie the drc<sid>.dat files. You can set up the primary and the standby to function without the broker, if you do configure the broker then all the management can be done via dgmgrl ( command line interface ) or grid control. You do not need a third server unless you plan to use an observer for fast start failover advanced features of data guard. Further you can create a dg configuration either via dgmgrl or grid but you need to use spfile and set dg broker start = true which will essentially start up your dmon process.
Previous Topic: role transitions
Next Topic: Apply archivedlog log in Standby
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:35:23 CDT 2024