Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape?
How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape? [message #213905] Fri, 12 January 2007 13:42 Go to next message
oracle_scorpiongirl
I have 2 ASM diskgroups DATA and FRA and created RMAN level 0 and Level 1 backups of the datafiles, archivelog files (along with control file and spfile). Archivelogs are in DATA group and the RMAN backups are FRA.

Level 0 backup runs every Sunday at 2am and level 1 backup runs Monday through Saturday at 2am.

What (all) should I do/configure/set in RMAN to backup the ASM flash recovery area group to tape?

I undrestand that the command is 'backup recovery area'. is that all? what channel(s) do I have to set. I am totally lost.

I have been looking online and documentation for sometime now but not able to get the answer I want. Not sure if I am looking right or not.

Can someone guide me? Thanks !
Re: How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape? [message #213909 is a reply to message #213905] Fri, 12 January 2007 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
BACKUP RECOVERY AREA will ONLY backup to tape. Therefore, you should ensure that you have a tape channel configured or that you allocated one prior to issuing the command.
Re: How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape? [message #213925 is a reply to message #213905] Fri, 12 January 2007 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oracle_scorpiongirl
Thanks

I was thinking that I should do(assuming that each node in the cluster has its own local tape drive) one-time configuration to configure one channel for each node in the cluster.
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE sbt PARALLELISM 2;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO sbt;
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE sbt CONNECT 'user1/pwd1@node1';
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 2 DEVICE TYPE sbt CONNECT 'user2/pwd2@node2';
BACKUP RECOVERY AREA;

this should backup everything in the flash recovery area to tape. Am I missing something?
Re: How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape? [message #213932 is a reply to message #213925] Fri, 12 January 2007 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
That would appear to be correct, however I don't have access to a RAC database to test. You should run those sequence of commands and review the RMAN log to ensure that you are obtaining the parallelism. The worst that should happen is that only one channel is used.
Re: How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape? [message #292095 is a reply to message #213932] Mon, 07 January 2008 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oradba4
Is is possible to backup the Flash Recovery Area to a disk location instead of a tape? All the posts indicate that "BACKUP RECOVERY AREA" only backs up to a TAPE device. Unfortunately, we don't have a tape drive on the Oracle server and the db_recovery_file_dest area keeps getting full. We have increased the size three times already, but I was wondering if there was a way to flush out the flashback logs. We have a guaranteed restore point (that's all we need for our purpose), and do not care about the additional flashback logs.
Re: How to backup flash recovery area (asm diskgroup) to tape? [message #292103 is a reply to message #292095] Mon, 07 January 2008 19:04 Go to previous message
ebrian
The FRA can indeed only be backed up to tape. If you don't need the flashback database capability, then you can disable it and alleviate the flashback logs.
Previous Topic: datafile offline drop
Next Topic: Duplicate Database Doubt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 17:38:17 CDT 2024