Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Reasons for not considering Logical Standby Databases for Reporting purposes
Reasons for not considering Logical Standby Databases for Reporting purposes [message #201342] Fri, 03 November 2006 11:03 Go to next message
anurag078
Hello friends,

We are thinking of setting up a Standby database for reporting purposes
during the business hours and after that apply the pending logs.

We are considering various options of multiple physical standby databases, cascaded
redo log destinations and logical standby databases.

Today, I was reading the Logical standby databases and their advantages.

Have any of you guys thought about Logical standby databases
while designing a standby database where it can be used for reporting purposes.

I want to know what are the reasons or disadvantages of Logical standby databases
that prompted you for NOT TAKING Logical standby databases for such a design.

If you can give me some inputs, it would be really great...

Thanks in advance,

Anurag
Re: Reasons for not considering Logical Standby Databases for Reporting purposes [message #203590 is a reply to message #201342] Wed, 15 November 2006 12:57 Go to previous message
email.sandeepnaik
Anurag,

I can give you advantages of physical standby

1 We get exact replica of production instance and hence it can be used as alternate database server in disaster recovery solution
2 Reporting functionality is still available with physical standby
3 You have database in read only mode and hence no need to manage profiles/roles or any other issues.
4 Due to exact replica of primary, backups can be offloaded from primary to physical standby and hence saving valuable cpu cycles
5 there are no issues with unsupported datatypes in physical standby, which is usually a problem with logical standby model.

Despite of above facts, You will be the best person to analyze need in your environment and choose right model of standby.

Sandeep
Previous Topic: new 10g valid_for confusion ??ONLINE_LOGFILE, STANDBY_LOGFILE
Next Topic: Download Data Guard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:28:08 CDT 2024