Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » what is a CFS ??
what is a CFS ?? [message #182908] Tue, 18 July 2006 12:28 Go to next message
tridentadm
install can be done of following disk types for RAC

1) Cluster File System (CFS)
2) Shared Raw Devices

but what is a CFS ??

i thought otherwise also the RAC installation requires a Cluster to be in place. ??

Re: what is a CFS ?? [message #182913 is a reply to message #182908] Tue, 18 July 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Yes, you most definitely need a working cluster before you can install RAC. However, you can put the database on ASM, raw disks or a cluster filesystem.

Example cluster file systems:
  • OCFS - http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs/
  • Sun Cluster's Cluster File System
  • HP Serviceguard Cluster File System (SG/CFS)
  • IBM's General Parallel File System (GPFS)
  • VERITAS Cluster File System (CFS)
  • Etc.

"Oracle Cluster File System (OCFS) presents a consistent file system image across the servers in a cluster. OCFS allows administrators to take advantage of a files system for the Oracle database files (data files, control files, and archive logs) and configuration files. This eases administration of the Oracle Real Application Clusters."
Re: what is a CFS ?? [message #182960 is a reply to message #182908] Tue, 18 July 2006 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tridentadm
thx. for reply.

i presume OCFS is applicable to 10g only.

also
IBM's General Parallel File System (GPFS) is propritory to IBM (which is the hardware cluster that they use)
Re: what is a CFS ?? [message #182973 is a reply to message #182960] Wed, 19 July 2006 00:49 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
> I presume OCFS is applicable to 10g only.

No, OCFS is just a filesystem. However, it is not available on AIX.

> Also, IBM's General Parallel File System (GPFS) is proprietary to IBM (which is the hardware cluster that they use).

Exactly. You need to use whatever is available on your platform - provided that it is certified for RAC.

Previous Topic: Can't view ASM Member disks
Next Topic: RAC hardware prerequisite
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:05:28 CDT 2024