Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Which oracle version to install ?
Which oracle version to install ? [message #178380] Tue, 20 June 2006 22:02 Go to next message
tony01
Hi Everybody :

I have installed in my computer Oracle Client 9iR2 (on window XP), because I have to access the database server on remote location. The database server is not available all the time, it is available only for some hours during the day.

Now,I want to clone the schema(A92_Owner) that I use to build queries and create reports. This schema have many tables.

My question is :

Can I install Oracle 10g XE (Windows version) in the same computer (my computer has already installed Oracle Client 9iR2), so that I can export/import the whole Schema (A92_Owner) from the database server to my computer (Oracle 10g XE).

If it is not possible, how can I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Re: Which oracle version to install ? [message #178452 is a reply to message #178380] Wed, 21 June 2006 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Yes you can. The Oracle XE will be installed in its own Oracle_Home. Currently, I've installed Oracle XE and Oracle Client9iR2 too (among several other Oracle products). The only thing you need to check is that the TNSNAMES.ORA files are aligned between the several Oracle homes if you need to connect from XE to the existing database entries in your Oracle client's home.

Oracle XE installs very easily, you shouldn't encounter any problem, but it's best to install it under the true XP 'administrator' account. On my box, my local account with admin privileges I didn't succeed. I had to use the true administrator account.

MHE
Re: Which oracle version to install ? [message #178623 is a reply to message #178380] Wed, 21 June 2006 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony01
Hi Maaher:

I sucessfully installed Oracle XE, It works , but when I try to connect using Oracle client, it doesn't work (before installation oracle xe it was working).
I got an error message : ORA-12154:TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

What is wrong ?

I installed oracle xe on drive D, and oracle client is on drive C,
each one has a tnsnames.ora file in its directories.

How can configure tnsnames.ora files properly?

Thanks.

Re: Which oracle version to install ? [message #178632 is a reply to message #178623] Thu, 22 June 2006 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Well, you have 2 Oracle_Homes now. You want to connect from what client (because you have 2) to what database (an old existing entry in your old tnsnames.ora or the new XE)? Here's what I tend to do: I have one tnsnames.ora file with all entries in it and all other tnsnames.ora files point to that "master" file with the following notation:
ifile=<full_path_to_master_tnsnames>\tnsnames.ora
That's the only line I've put in the regular tnsnames.ora files. Now I only have to maintain one file.

MHE

[Updated on: Thu, 22 June 2006 00:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which oracle version to install ? [message #178999 is a reply to message #178632] Fri, 23 June 2006 17:59 Go to previous message
tony01
Hi Maaher:

I can not connect to databse Xpress edition (XE).
It doesn't work I got error message:
ora-12154 TNS:Could not resolve service name.

However, I can connect to remote database from my oracle client 9.2.

What is wrong??

This is my master tnsnames.ora file with ALL ENTRIES, is located at C:\oracle\ora92\network\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora (This is the oracle client 9.2)

The second tnsnames.ora file from oracle XE is located at: D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora

The entry in this tnsnames.ora file is: ifile=C:\oracle\ora92\network\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora

Here below is the master tnsnames.ora file with all entries:

##FIRST PART TO CONNECT ON REMOTE DATABSE
ABC =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.8.165.40)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = ABC)
)
)

## 2ND PART- ORACLE XPRESS EDITION TNSNAMES.ORA
XE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xzhg-7f9f212521)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = CLRExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

[Updated on: Fri, 23 June 2006 18:08]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: System error 998 - Oracle ODBC Driver issue
Next Topic: Jinitiator 1.1.7.27 Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 12:19:37 CDT 2024