Home » Other » Marketplace » Advise Needed Please  () 1 Vote
Advise Needed Please [message #166723] Fri, 07 April 2006 17:11 Go to next message
Beasts
Hi everyone,

I'm 16 years old, this year is my first year of my A-levels and I am half way through the OCA course in college through the Oracle Academy and next year I'll be doing the Oracle Java course and the OCP. I would very much like to go to university, but do not know which course would be most beneficial.
Throughout my time in college and uni I will probably want to find myself a part-time job, and I was wondering whether there might be any part-time jobs in this line of work in London, England.
My teacher has said that we could become database consultants as we are gaining a thorough knowledge in database design, but I dont fully understand the job of a database consultant.

If anyone has any answers to these questions, I would very much like to hear from you.
Re: Advise Needed Please [message #166859 is a reply to message #166723] Mon, 10 April 2006 01:26 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
If there isn't work in a city the size of London, I don't know where it would be.

May I suggest that you ask your teacher for their definition of a 'database consultant'. For me, a 'database consultant' is someone who knows most things about database creation and maintenance but more particularly is concerned with the table definitions within the databse and their tuning. They more typically are also well versed in how to migrate data from one structure to another.

Finding someone who is willing for a 'junior' (excuse the term) to 'hack' around in their 'pride and joy' will be quite difficult. BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE. You will just have to work for 'slave' rates (again, please excuse the terminology, I can't remember the current politically correct term). I assume that you have Oracle 10g R2 XE installed on your home PC (its a FULL version and its free) and that you have downloaded all the PDFs available from Oracle concerning this release, plus the various demonstration applications associated with Oracle Application Express.

I recommend searching ALL the online job sites and registering your interest on them. Then contact Oracle directly and enquire about ANYONE they have EVER heard of who hired 'junior grunts' for do mundane database or application 'things'. Be prepared to work over the summer break when all the regulars are on leave and they need someone to run (and hopefully write) various little scripts to do data cleansing work as part of a feasability study. You won't get 'real work' on a 'real database', but you MAY get test work on a mock-up. You could try contacting the agencies but they are truly mercenary and your rate will be too low for them to get a decent return, so they won't try.

Alternatively, google 'london oracle', get some contact details, have a CV ready, and ring each 'hit' and see if they have anything with which you can help them. For 'cold calling' look at http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/137374/67467/?srch=sit+up+david#msg_137374

David
Previous Topic: Sr. technofunctional Oracle apps sr. consultant-full time-DC
Next Topic: DBA remote services.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:11:30 CDT 2024