Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » PRO COBOL SQL problems galore
PRO COBOL SQL problems galore [message #161062] Wed, 01 March 2006 18:39 Go to next message
MiamiVice
Howdy all.

We are Installing Peoplesoft here, in the conversion stage at the moment.

We are using PRO COBOL to load data from a flat file to an ORACLE staging table, which is then thrown out to Peoplesoft tables.

Anyway, i am not having fun with PRO COBOL.

I see my INSERT statement (which inserts 111 fields into a single table) gets converted/generated at run time.

I am seeing very basic non descriptive error messages, and no reference to a particular field where the error is.

I see that SQLERRD(5) holds the offset of the character position at which the error begins, but it seems to me this is within the GENERATE SQL statement, which i cannot see.

How do i see the generated SQL statement ?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: PRO COBOL SQL problems galore [message #161133 is a reply to message #161062] Thu, 02 March 2006 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
dont know answer to your pro cobol related question, but one question I got is: why did you decide to use pro cobol?
To migrate text data into oracle, there is sql loader isn't it?
Re: PRO COBOL SQL problems galore [message #161171 is a reply to message #161133] Thu, 02 March 2006 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MiamiVice
Believe me, i have been asking myself this question ever since i started to write my first PRO COBOL program !

I was directed this way, saying it was site standard.

We do have a bunch of Translate tables sitting on the ORACLE side, translating the Legacy data into Peoplesoft data as we go etc. Not an SQL LOADER expert, but dont think you can do that in SQL LOADER.

Re: PRO COBOL SQL problems galore [message #161174 is a reply to message #161171] Thu, 02 March 2006 06:59 Go to previous message
orausern
The decision of which tool you use for migration is a key decision!

If i understood right, you have flat files from which you get the data into oracle? in that case sql loader is a tool , that one would recommend. see its documentation at:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96652/part2.htm#436160

Of course you can do a comparative analysis with some other tools as well..if you have oracle support,may be you can interact about this with oracle as well.(on oracle metalink site)

also migration related links you can refer at:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/index.html

(though they are for migrating data from one database like access etc to oracle,whereas you have flat files)
Previous Topic: Accessing Oracle (Unix based) from z/OS CICS transactions
Next Topic: backup and restore for MVS ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:39:44 CDT 2024