Home » Server Options » Data Guard » What happens to the standby redo log
What happens to the standby redo log [message #150446] Wed, 07 December 2005 22:07 Go to next message
asangapradeep
Hi,
I’m creating a data guard configuration where the primary database users ASM for data files and flash recovery area and the standby uses local file system on the standby host. Priory to the duplication I created standby redo log files on the primary data base and they reside on the ASM disks.

The sql statement
select * from v$standby_log;

shows the all the info about the standby redo logs.

I used rman for the creation of the standby with

duplicate target database for standby dorecover nofilenamecheck;

when I executed the
select * from v$standby_log;
statement on the standby before I start the redo apply I could see the info about the standby log files. The status of standby log files was unassigned.
But after I’ve started the redo apply the above sql query returns zero rows selected.
Then I had to stop the log apply and create the standby redo logs manually on the standby. Did a switch logfile on the primary and when I ran the above sql query again it gave the info about the standby logs and status of it was active.

What I want to know is what I’m doing wrong? Why is that standby log files created on primary disappear on the standby when the redo log apply is started?

Thank you.

Re: What happens to the standby redo log [message #151624 is a reply to message #150446] Thu, 15 December 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sharan alva
Hi,
When rman cloned the primary did it copy across the standby redo logs ? You mentioned that v$standby_log showed the standby redo logs, now the standby is a block to block copy, since you had SRL's created on the primary , the clone would also show this view populated , for example if you go to the o/s and delete a SRL , the v$standby_log does not automatically update showing this SRL is deleted .

The second point to check is that you mentioned you were able to create the SRL manually on the standby .... Check to see if it is possible to now on the standby which already has the SRL's created, to be able to create a SRL using the same path and name - does it give a message stating that the SRL already exists or does it simply overwrite -- I would go with message.

Check these facts and respond ..

-- Thanks
Re: What happens to the standby redo log [message #151648 is a reply to message #150446] Fri, 16 December 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asangapradeep
hi,

all this time i've only been checking the standby view. but there's no actual standby log file cloned by rman. i guess that's why i had to keep creating standby logfiles mannually. how to overcome this?

thank you
Re: What happens to the standby redo log [message #151673 is a reply to message #150446] Fri, 16 December 2005 02:32 Go to previous message
asangapradeep
Hi,
Ok this is something I’ve just found out. As soon as rman has finished the duplication for standby if I try to create a standby log file with same path name I get an error saying file already exist. But there was no file when I went to the directory and listed all the files. After getting error I started the recover process and activated the standby to apply archive logs. Logs applied fine and I could see them being applied from the archived log view. Then when I checked the status of standby logs and result was “no rows selected”. Then I stopped the log apply process and try to create a standby log file with the same path name as before and it got created. This time a file exists in the directory where I created it. So what’s going on?
Thank for any help you could give
Previous Topic: data guard and standby redo
Next Topic: Standby database question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:20:48 CDT 2024