Home » Server Options » Data Guard » data guard and standby redo
data guard and standby redo [message #148627] Fri, 25 November 2005 08:10 Go to next message
asangapradeep
Hi,

I’m currently setting up a data guard and I’ve been following the oracle data guard document and the http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Data_Guard_9i/DG_60.shtml link for this. (even though i'm usign 10gR2)

One thing that is confusing to me is the standby redo logs. When do I create them? Do I create them on the primary database before I start making the standby control file and create the pfile and all that? Or
Create the standby redo logs on standby database once the recovery of the database is done ( oracle recommends creation of standby logs on both primary and standby) my problem is when!

What I did was to create standby redo logs on primary with

alter database add standby logfile thread 1 (‘/oracle/oradata/tbxp/sredo01.log’) size 50M;

and my primary database had 3 groups for online redo so I created 4 standby redo ( from what I understood in oracle documentation. Data guard concept and administration )

and I followed the link above and the stand by was created and got recovered.
When I did the log switch I could see logs being added to standby. (But I didn’t and couldn’t create any standby logs on the standby database with above statement. It said recovery may need the files….!) But I’m not sure about this configurations I did so tell me the correct procedure of creating standby redo logs.

* does the primary and standby by required to have the same SID?

* if I created a new tablespace (thus add a data file to the primary database) does it get created in the standby as well? When I tried this it didn’t happen. so I’m wondering if addition of data files require some user intervention. What goes to the standby and what require user intervention?

Thank you.
my own reply to ---> data guard and standby redo [message #148691 is a reply to message #148627] Sat, 26 November 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asangapradeep
hi,
i managed to find some answers to the above issues myself for the benefit of others i'm writing them here.

from my experince i found that standby and primary does have to have the same SID when different SID was given the recovery failed sayign oracle is not started at the auxiliary.

datafiles created in primary does also appear in the standby no user intervention needed.

i created standby redo files once the rman recovery is finished and before i started the redo log apply service. created them on the standby database. but it's better to create standby redo logs on both primary and standby.

ok for anyone who is looking to setup data guard hope this is useful for you.
good luck!
Re: data guard and standby redo [message #151457 is a reply to message #148627] Wed, 14 December 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sharan alva
You can create the SRL ( standby redo logs ) on the primary. Then when you take a backup and restore this on the standby site, you can restore these SRL's as well that were created on the primary. In other words you do not need to create them once the standby is created , however the SRL's are used only when the standby is in standby role.

Check note 343424.1 via metalink

Thanks -- hope this helps
Re: data guard and standby redo [message #151622 is a reply to message #148627] Thu, 15 December 2005 21:25 Go to previous message
asangapradeep
hi,
thanks for the reply. i've resolved the issue with where and when to create standby logs. but i got another new issue regardign SRL.
i've posted a message regarding that.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/56163/77953/

if you can please help me on this one.
Previous Topic: Oracle Asynchronous CDC questions
Next Topic: What happens to the standby redo log
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:43:25 CDT 2024