Home » Infrastructure » Windows » running w/o admin rights
icon14.gif  running w/o admin rights [message #132944] Tue, 16 August 2005 23:26 Go to next message
woolerym
I work for a company with several oracle apps- my job as desktop support is made much more difficult due to the fact that no one at my company has found a way to run these apps without giving all users admin rights. I have long looked for resources on how to lower rights to power user or user, but have never really found anything.

Does anyone have any links, or experiences that could help? This is my first tim eon this site, so maybe the answer lies within. We run a mixture of 2k and xp and our apps run the whole list of versions- from 6i developer forms, to 9.2 client (this would be the priority) , 10g, 11i, etc, etc.

Thanks in Advance!
Re: running w/o admin rights [message #133365 is a reply to message #132944] Thu, 18 August 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woolerym
Another question- there are hundreds of website dedicated to Oracle databases for DBA's, developers etc. But I never see anything about supporting the Oracle client from a desktop support perspective. Considering how big and (ugly- there I said it) the oracle client install is- I cant believe there arent more resources out there for us non-DBA's.
Re: running w/o admin rights [message #133513 is a reply to message #133365] Fri, 19 August 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
First, Oracle systems/databases should be handled/maintained by Unix(or system admins)/DBA's.
Not by desktop. That would be a disaster.
You being from Desktop Group, would you expect the Unix Group to give their root password to you?
Similarly the databae superusers should be DBA's. Not a desktop technician.

>>We run a mixture of 2k and xp and our apps run the whole list of
>>versions- from 6i developer forms, to 9.2 client
>>(this would be the priority) , 10g, 11i, etc, etc.

These are highly customized applications.
Forms/reports are very different from oracle 11i ( 11i is not plain database. It application suite.For a reasonable sized company you may see different DBA's for databases and applications.)

>>my company has found a way to run these apps
>>without giving all users admin rights.
giving admin rights to end users is a clear path to the harms way.

>>Considering how big and (ugly- there I said it) the oracle
>>client install is- I cant believe there arent more resources
>>out there for us non-DBA's.

On contrary, a simple client installation is very easy ( especially on windows). all you need to know is

1. understand what you are doing.
2. how to use a mouse
3. Read oracle documentation on installing clients.

May be it is the customizations that is giving you the problem.

Please post the exact problems you face.
May be, we can sort it out.

>>I cant believe there arent more resources out there for us non-DBA's
I am sorry, i am in dark now.
Please post what kind of resources you want for 'NON-DBA's.
Becuase there is just a whole bunch of them that we see as important, which you may just discard it stating out of your scope/need to support.

Re: running w/o admin rights [message #133590 is a reply to message #133513] Fri, 19 August 2005 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woolerym
If you read my post I wasnt asking for help running a database. It would be a disaster- like letting DBA's support desktops Smile

Quote:

On contrary, a simple client installation is very easy ( especially on windows). all you need to know is

1. understand what you are doing.
2. how to use a mouse
3. Read oracle documentation on installing clients.

Could explain more about what a mouse is please? I agree installing the oracle client isnt too bad- assuming its the first client on a computer- where it gets ugly, is when there are 3-4 other clients. At our company through mergers and growth we have several Oracle apps that can't be installed together because all require to be the first ora-home and be installed to c:\orant. Sure you can try to massage another client on there- but that seems to be a pain, when trying to rollout to hundreds or thousands of computers. Luckily we are moving some of these apps toward web based clients, which will be a big help.

The question I was trying to get answered is how to get apps to both install and run without requiring local administrator access on the windows box. This might be what you misunderstood- i'm talking about the local computer, not the database server. I was on metalink yesterday and counted a half-dozen other posts asking this same question- so I dont think I'm coming out of left field here.

As far as resources- I'm looking for technical information on deploying and managing the Oracle client, I'm not sure how else to word that. I suppose most information on deploying I've found on Oracle.com, but there has to be a site for network admins/desktop support- Novell does a good job of this for example.

Re: running w/o admin rights [message #133623 is a reply to message #133590] Sat, 20 August 2005 05:07 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> way to run these apps without giving all users admin rights

What exactly does it mean then?
You are taking not just DBA rights. Also other administrative rights.

I said.
>>First, Oracle systems/databases should be handled/maintained by Unix(or system admins)/DBA's.
Have you read this?

as i said before

>>May be it is the customizations that is giving you the problem.

As per your posting.
>>all require to be the first ora-home and be installed to c:\orant.
Logically not possible.
Every oracle client always require its own oracle_home.
you can have common directory for clients.c:\orant. But differnt actual ORACLE_HOME.
Then fore example
c:\orant\ora92 for 9i based sql*plus clients
c:\orant\forms for forms
c:\orant\10g for 10g based sql*plus clients

For almost all non web-based applications you need a tnsnames.ora to talk to the respective
database server ( or your application should use A JDBC thin driver).
So every client needs its own Tnsnames.ora.
To make your rollout easier,
you can have one tnsnames.ora somewhere and softlink/nfsmount/shared (whatever you call
it in your terminology) it to other clients in the same host/machine/client pc.

>> how to get apps to both install and run without requiring local administrator
>> access on the windows box

What kind of 'apps' are you talking about here?
Every 'apps' may have its own configuration. It depends on the 'folks' who have designed it.
We cannot make a broad generalization here.

To install an oracle client, you essentially dont need an adminstrative right.
(But i belive, you wont let your End Users to install anything they want. So be the oracle client software)
Infact to help installation , oracle clients can also be installed in 'silent mode' or 'non-interactive mode' (this may need an administrative knowledge)

Our Desktop does a great job with this. They dont need a DBA/Sysadmin to do this and let it to be a disaster.
We have a ghosted windows(or unix) OS bundled with all necessary clients. ( may be iam not using the right term here. Forgive my
ignorance. I am not into desktop).

There are several docs in Metalink that talk about this. I am not sure which one you might be intrested.
If you need specific assistance, raise a TAR ( technical assistance request. Just another fancy term for raising a ticket). You ask the folks at OSS

1.) Doc ID: Note:43980.1 Subject: Windows: Deploying 32-Bit Forms Runtime Applications
Note: You can use the following procedure to distribute Oracle Reports or Graphics Runtime to multiple client machines.

2.) Doc ID: Note:98666.1 Subject: How Perform a LAN Installation of Oracle Developer?

Nevertheless,I should agree that getting a document / assistance from metalink is not so easy.

Previous Topic: oo4o & datatable
Next Topic: Which ones are win xp professional compatible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:42:00 CDT 2024