Home » Infrastructure » Windows » transparent data access (ie using oracle and/or other db in dotnet)
transparent data access (ie using oracle and/or other db in dotnet) [message #126567] Tue, 05 July 2005 13:41 Go to next message
gdeconto
first off, know this is a forum for oracle users and not a dotnet forum. the thing is, the ones who might have an answer will likely be in this forum.

my question is, have any of you oracle developers out there had any experience in creating dotnet applications that have transparent data access?? ie being able to specify via a simple toggle, to use EITHER oracle OR mysql OR ... database.

have seen some sample bits of code out there in dotnet forums but I was specifically interested in running oracle or something else (mysql, mssql, whatever) as the backend for some dotnet apps.
Re: transparent data access (ie using oracle and/or other db in dotnet) [message #126712 is a reply to message #126567] Wed, 06 July 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Have you looked at the Oracle website yet?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/dotnet/index.html

Especially the Oracle Data Provider for Dot NET (ODP.NET) seems interesting.

MHE
Re: transparent data access (ie using oracle and/or other db in dotnet) [message #126771 is a reply to message #126712] Wed, 06 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gdeconto
thx for the response.

my question is not "how to do I write a dotnet program whose functions/procedures get data from oracle". thats essentially easy to do.

transparent data access is a fair bit more complex than that.

it is more "how to do I write a dotnet program, that doesnt need to be recoded or recompiled, who functions/procedures get data from oracle if flag=use_oracle OR from mssql if flag=use_mssql OR from mysql if flag=mysql OR ... etc

the dotnet crowd dont typically write for non-microsoft databases. I posted this message in this oracle forum because I thought that there must be oracle developers who have had to co-exist with mssql/access/etc and so might have had to deal with transparent data access.
Re: transparent data access (ie using oracle and/or other db in dotnet) [message #126816 is a reply to message #126771] Wed, 06 July 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Well, you'll need to write some kind of handler for this kind of thing yourself I guess. Once you know what data source you access, you can write overloaded functions for each data source type. I recall a Java program writen by a co-worker that did something similar. It was a parameter telling the program what class to use for what data source.

Perhaps MSDN can teach you something more. Have you checked there?

MHE
Re: transparent data access (ie using oracle and/or other db in dotnet) [message #126822 is a reply to message #126816] Wed, 06 July 2005 16:26 Go to previous message
gdeconto
I know.

still pouring thru the mountain of documentation there and on other sources (ie newsgroups, websites, etc).

it is amazing how many articles contain your search terms when you just want a couple ...
Previous Topic: ORA-03115 error connecting to 9i over a database-link using OO4O 8.0.5
Next Topic: MS SQL 2K3 + Oracle 9i Client
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:51:14 CDT 2024