Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Two directories in one?
Two directories in one? [message #126074] Thu, 30 June 2005 16:48 Go to next message
Athanasopolous
At the root level of the system, there seems to be two direrctories. Not understanding this and how this works may have caused some problems. Can you please explain this: http://www.gelsana.com/explain_this.htm
Re: Two directories in one? [message #126103 is a reply to message #126074] Thu, 30 June 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMcG
This is a side effect of VMS' clustering software.
A more useful command at this point would be
Show Default - which would probably show that your default directory is pointing to two directories at the same time.

Look up the docs on system directories for clusters and do a -
Show Log / system - which will help unravel where things point to.

Basically if you set default to a system logical name, then that maps to two directories - one which is common for all nodes in the cluster and a second one which is specific for that machine.

You can see this if you do a -
Show Log sys$manager

I don't have a VMS system here so I can't give you live examples.
But you'll get dual directory listings for nearly all the system logical roots, SYS$MANAGER, SYS$ERROR, SYS$SYSTEM... etc
Should all point to SYS$SPECIFIC: and SYS$COMMON:

Dougie McGibbon
Re: Two directories in one? [message #185921 is a reply to message #126103] Fri, 04 August 2006 04:47 Go to previous message
angelsliu
one must
Previous Topic: Oracle RDB Loader question
Next Topic: problem of loading oracle8i and developer 2000(forms 6i) in pentium 4 processor machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:02:40 CDT 2024