Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Which parameter?
icon5.gif  Which parameter? [message #123557] Mon, 13 June 2005 23:10 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

I want to change the size of SGA in 9i & 10g can any one give me which are the parameter that i have to change in init.ora file .

I just need parameter name <----

Thank you

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 23:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which parameter? [message #123563 is a reply to message #123557] Mon, 13 June 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMcG
For 9i, there isn't just one parameter to set, there's a few.

On 10G, you could try setting SGA_Target to the amount of memory you want to allocate - but that'll give you a fairly average memory usage plan which may be totally unsuited to your database.

If you've already got a highly customised parameter set already then it could actually result in decreasing your system's performance.

Dougie McGibbon

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 23:30]

Re: Which parameter? [message #123566 is a reply to message #123563] Mon, 13 June 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi

What about oracle 9i ?
thanks for your reply
Re: Which parameter? [message #123574 is a reply to message #123566] Tue, 14 June 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Sunil

For Gods' sake pls start reading some docs... everything can't be spoon fed.

Well as for ur reply, if u r unwilling to go thru docs, then my advise is .... pls-pls dont touch init.ora file. let oracle decide the sga components size on its own, on basis of default settings in default init.ora file.

...Girish
Re: Which parameter? [message #123650 is a reply to message #123574] Tue, 14 June 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

Sorry girish sir i actully forget the load that you all manage ... Very Happy i thought expert on the sites are good enough to provide me knowledge on oracle DBA very easily ... well i will read documentation and dont afraid i will not do any thing silly with init.ora ... but if i get my answer... only the name of parameter to change in init.ora for size of SGA in 9i.... that would have been a great assistance to me....

thank you

Note :- Not for God sake i will read documentation for my self Smile
Re: Which parameter? [message #123673 is a reply to message #123650] Tue, 14 June 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
For basic components of SGA:

db_cache_size: For DB Cache/Buffer
java_pool_size: For java pool
large_pool_size: For large pool
shared_pool_size: For shared pool
SGA_MAX_SIZE: For specifyinf maximum size of SGA.
log_buffer: for redo log buffer

For more details about their use:

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/9i/server.920/a96533/memory.htm#29731
Re: Which parameter? [message #123705 is a reply to message #123557] Tue, 14 June 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Sunil,

I agree with others, including myself, who have said this to you. It is time for you to start reading the documentation. Start with reading the Concepts Guide. It will give you a general overview, and will point you towards further details that will answer the vast majority of your questions.

Experts have taken time to write this stuff down in the documentation so that people who are trying to learn do not have to ask. It is rude and innapropriate for you to continue to ask questions that could be easily looked up on your own.
Re: Which parameter? [message #123810 is a reply to message #123705] Tue, 14 June 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
sir,

Will you see this link

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/?t=rview&goto=121784#msg_121784

you can check my reply to the issue present in the above link i replied to that question before puting my this question on forum ....... Smile
Some time I ask question to confirm myself as expert having more experience than me can guide me properly... and if some one know any thing related to question and if they straight forward answer to that question then it is much more helpfull .... yea and this is always true there is no other substitute of documentation ... but pls check the link below .... there is question which was asked to me in an interview... can u tell me link to get assistance for that question present in the link.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/?t=rview&goto=117189#msg_117189

thank you very much

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 22:30]

Re: Which parameter? [message #123903 is a reply to message #123557] Wed, 15 June 2005 08:45 Go to previous message
smartin
As far as your first link goes, I am confused as to why you would post in this thread a question that you had already answered in another thread. But it doesn't really matter.

As far as your second link, that is an example of an ok question. You did not simply ask something that could be directly looked up in the oracle docs. A bad question would be like asking "what are the components of the sga" or "what does error ora-3113 mean". Those are factual questions that can be looked up, and you should take the time to do that.

But, your second link points to a question that does not have a straightforward answer that is applicable to all situations. Oracle is not always a math problem that is as easy as 2+2. There is often not a single correct answer but many different things that would work, especially taking into account various situations that people run.

Which is why in your second link I answered that the only way to know and be able to provide a good answer is to understand the concepts involved, and then apply those concepts to the situation at hand. There is no single right answer.

But that is enough time spent on this topic. Some of the questions you ask are ok, many are not. And I have seen you attempt to answer other people's questions in the best way you know how. So I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Previous Topic: which view to use to know about global partitioned index
Next Topic: getting bad Performance during use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:01:39 CDT 2024