Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » New to OS/390 - Install, migrate & tune Oracle. What course to take??
New to OS/390 - Install, migrate & tune Oracle. What course to take?? [message #113644] Tue, 13 March 2001 01:22 Go to next message
Kok Hwa
Hi Guru,
I am a Oracle DBA. I have been in Unix and NT environment. I am going to start doing a project in OS/390 environment - which is totally new to me.

I have manage to find 3 courses so far as follog :
1) ES10 : Fundamental System Skills in IBM eServer zSeries. (4.5 days)
This course is designed to teach students the fundamental practical
skills to navigate and work in an OS/390 environment.
This includes the use of ISPF/PDF dialogs, TSO/E commands and JCL.
2) ES790 : Tuning Oracle for OS/390 (2 days)
Do you need to understand how to tune an Oracle8 Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) in an OS/390 environment? Learn the methods you can use to tune an Oracle RDBMS and the OS/390 applications that run on it. Hands-on lab projects may be done in teams depending on the number of attendees and location. This course addresses Oracle8i R3 Version 8.1.7 with Operating System Dependent Interface (OSDI) on OS/390.
3) ES780 : Installing Oracle for OS/390 (2 days)
Do you need a guided, hands-on, installation of the Oracle8 Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) on OS/390? Use the Oracle for OS/390 technical documentation to perform the installation in an OS/390 system. Install SQL*Net, Oracle's communications protocol, on OS/390 and ensure Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is correctly configured for the Oracle database. Run Oracle utilities, such as Import/Export and SQL*Loader, from the Time Sharing Option (TSO) command line and from batch environment. Create Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) files for use by the Oracle database. Create a functional Oracle database and develop skills to exercise Oracle utilities in the OS/390 environment. Hands-on lab projects may be done in lab teams depending on the class size and location. This course addresses Oracle8i R3 Version 8.1.7 with Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI) on OS/390.

Of cause the best to take all 3 courses. Do you think I am able to survive the following task if I just take the first course (fundalmental skill for OS/390) :
1) install Oracle with OSDI in OS/390
2) migrate a database (abt 150G) from AIX
3) perform tuning after migration

Any opinion and suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Re: New to OS/390 - Install, migrate & tune Oracle. What course to take?? [message #113648 is a reply to message #113644] Wed, 14 March 2001 16:03 Go to previous message
Chris Woodyard
Kokhwa,
Since you are an Oracle DBA, you have what you need to deal with the OS/390 version. Nothing changes in that respect. The one piece of Oracle software that you do not know about is OSDI. That is exclusive to Oracle OS/390. On that note and the fact that you are not familar with OS/390, I suggest that you take all three courses. The two ORACLE OS/390 courses are taught by Jim Gillespie, who has many years of experience with both Oracle on OS/390 and the OS/390 platform. He teachs OSDI installs. Based on your lack of knowledge of OS/390 I suggest that you also take the OS/390 fundamentals class. Having a good understanding of the OS/390 platform will help you to successfully implement Oracle on OS/390.

Chris

: Hi Guru,
: I am a Oracle DBA. I have been in Unix and NT environment. I am going to start doing a project in OS/390 environment - which is totally new to me.

: I have manage to find 3 courses so far as follog :
: 1) ES10 : Fundamental System Skills in IBM eServer zSeries. (4.5 days)
: This course is designed to teach students the fundamental practical
: skills to navigate and work in an OS/390 environment.
: This includes the use of ISPF/PDF dialogs, TSO/E commands and JCL.
: 2) ES790 : Tuning Oracle for OS/390 (2 days)
: Do you need to understand how to tune an Oracle8 Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) in an OS/390 environment? Learn the methods you can use to tune an Oracle RDBMS and the OS/390 applications that run on it. Hands-on lab projects may be done in teams depending on the number of attendees and location. This course addresses Oracle8i R3 Version 8.1.7 with Operating System Dependent Interface (OSDI) on OS/390.
: 3) ES780 : Installing Oracle for OS/390 (2 days)
: Do you need a guided, hands-on, installation of the Oracle8 Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) on OS/390? Use the Oracle for OS/390 technical documentation to perform the installation in an OS/390 system. Install SQL*Net, Oracle's communications protocol, on OS/390 and ensure Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is correctly configured for the Oracle database. Run Oracle utilities, such as Import/Export and SQL*Loader, from the Time Sharing Option (TSO) command line and from batch environment. Create Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) files for use by the Oracle database. Create a functional Oracle database and develop skills to exercise Oracle utilities in the OS/390 environment. Hands-on lab projects may be done in lab teams depending on the class size and location. This course addresses Oracle8i R3 Version 8.1.7 with Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI) on OS/390.

: Of cause the best to take all 3 courses. Do you think I am able to survive the following task if I just take the first course (fundalmental skill for OS/390) :
: 1) install Oracle with OSDI in OS/390
: 2) migrate a database (abt 150G) from AIX
: 3) perform tuning after migration

: Any opinion and suggestion is really appreciated.

: Thanks in advance.
: Cheers.
Previous Topic: OSDI Service Definition Commands
Next Topic: WLM vs Database Resource Manager (Oracle)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:52:29 CDT 2024