Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Announcement: New Discussion Forum
Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108876] Sat, 19 February 2005 06:46 Go to next message
admin
Administrator
Hi,

We've worked hard to setup a new forum for the OraFAQ site. The new URL is http://www.orafaq.com/forum/

The new forum looks different, but it does most of the same things as the old forum, as well as a few new things too. I'm sure you'll find your way round without too much difficulty.

Please do not register a new account, instead try to locate your userid on the new forum and request a password change (http://www.orafaq.com/forum/rst/0/).

For the next couple of days, posting will be allowed on the new and old forums. However, as soon as all problems are sorted out, posting to the old forum will be disabled.

Hope you like it... we are sure you'll tell us if you don't!

Best regards.

OraFAQ Staff
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108897 is a reply to message #108876] Sat, 19 February 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Can we only reset our password to an automatically generated one? Or is there a way to set it to something of our own choosing that is easier to remember? I went through the process a few times and did not see such an option. Is it not there or did I just miss it somehow?
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108900 is a reply to message #108897] Sat, 19 February 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Administrator
Hi,

After resetting your password, click on "User CP" to change your password, userid, or any of the other settings.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108915 is a reply to message #108900] Sat, 19 February 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I clicked on the "User CP" near the top right of the screen and it took me to another screen that also had a "User CP" near the upper left, so I clicked on that, but all that did was keep refreshing the same screen without any apparent place to change a password. Am I missing something or is this a bug?
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108916 is a reply to message #108915] Sat, 19 February 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Administrator
Try User CP --> Settings --> change password

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108918 is a reply to message #108916] Sat, 19 February 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
That worked. Thanks. I can't believe I didn't figure that out. Now I know how the Oracle newbies must feel when trying to change their Oracle password for the first time. Suddenly we are all forum newbies. We will adapt. I am still exploring around, but it looks like there are a lot of nice new features. I do keep having a problem with my cookie expiring and having to log in again though.

Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #108926 is a reply to message #108918] Sun, 20 February 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Administrator
Hi Barbara,

We've added a section on "How do I change my password?" in the Help pages. Hope that will make it easier for other users.

W.r.t your cookie problem: check your browser settings for an option like "Treat all cookies like session cookies". When enabled, your will have to re-login every time you start a new browser session.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109485 is a reply to message #108876] Thu, 24 February 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have been noticing a lot of disjointed orphaned responses to questions that look like they are posted as new topics. Why is this happening? I have noticed that when posting a reply, there are two reply buttons near the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, one that just says "reply" and the other that says "post reply". I have been using the "reply" button and my posts all seem to end up where they belong. I am guessing that perhaps using the other button results in a reply being posted as a new thread. In order to test this hypothesis, I am going to post this twice, once each way. This will be the one using just "reply".
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109486 is a reply to message #108876] Thu, 24 February 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have been noticing a lot of disjointed orphaned responses to questions that look like they are posted as new topics. Why is this happening? I have noticed that when posting a reply, there are two reply buttons near the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, one that just says "reply" and the other that says "post reply". I have been using the "reply" button and my posts all seem to end up where they belong. I am guessing that perhaps using the other button results in a reply being posted as a new thread. In order to test this hypothesis, I am going to post this twice, once each way. This will be the one using "post reply".
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109487 is a reply to message #109486] Thu, 24 February 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Well, both replies seem to have ended up where they belong, so that disproves that theory. It is still a mystery.
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109491 is a reply to message #109487] Fri, 25 February 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

It might be people that don't know the difference between "Reply" and "New Topic" (or hit the wrong button by accident). Maybe we should contact some of the authors of these messages and ask them how they did it?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109508 is a reply to message #109486] Fri, 25 February 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
About the orphaned posts, isn't it also due to the transfer of the old message board to the new one?

Yesterday I've replied to Sverch on the old board and some time later the reply appeared on the new board as an orphan post...

MHE
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109550 is a reply to message #109508] Fri, 25 February 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Maaher has solved the mystery. Apparently, although the message at the top of the page on the old forum says that the old forum is closed, people are still able to reply from the old forum, but doing so causes the responses to appear as new topics on the new forum, instead of ending up as replies on the correct thread. Can this be fixed? Or, since this forum seems to be working pretty well, is it about time to disable the responses from the old forum and just provide a link to the new one?
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109551 is a reply to message #108926] Fri, 25 February 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I am still having a problem with having to login again. I was unable to locate any such cookie session option. I am using Internet Explorere 6.0 on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. I also have Netscape available, but have not experimented with that. I have had similar problems on other forums that have been solved by using their option to remember the login and password. Does this forum have such an option or will it have such an option in the future? My problem may be compounded by the fact that I am using a wireless internet connection with various ip addresses. The problem seems to be sporadic and I have not been able to establish a pattern yet.
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109602 is a reply to message #109551] Sun, 27 February 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

The cookie timeout for this forum is set to 604800 seconds (7 days). When this cookie expires, the user will have to login again.

Can you please also test with Netscape as well? Also, if other people also get this problem, please let us know ASAP!

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109603 is a reply to message #109550] Sun, 27 February 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Quote:

Can this be fixed? Or, since this forum seems to be working pretty well, is it about time to disable the responses from the old forum and just provide a link to the new one?

I will investigate to see if the conversion script can be fixed. If not, it would be best to disable posting to the old forum altogether.

BTW: When this happens a moderator can use the "Merge Topics" function to join the orphaned responses again.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109604 is a reply to message #109602] Sun, 27 February 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
You asked for tests with other browsers?

I use Mozilla Firefox 1.0 with a very strict cookie-regime. www.orafaq.com is allowed to set cookies, and it has been working like a charm since the first time I logged in.
Whenever I open the site, I am logged in automagically.

hth
Re: Announcement: New Discussion Forum [message #109670 is a reply to message #109602] Sun, 27 February 2005 15:59 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I have been using Netscape all morning with no problems whatsoever. Netscape has an option to remember the login and password, similar to the option provided by some forums, that Internet Explorer does not seem to have. I selected that option and it works fine. Problem solved.
Previous Topic: New Forum SOS - 1
Next Topic: Announcement: Search Plug-in for Firefox and Mozilla users
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:40:19 CDT 2024