Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Which Oracle version for standalone PC
Which Oracle version for standalone PC [message #100149] Sat, 10 August 2002 16:50 Go to next message
Nadia Bashir
I tried to install oracle 8i on my computer which runs Windows ME. The installation was successful (i.e. the net8 config succeeded) but I could not get SQLPlus to start at all. It kept looking for a listener which was not installed at all.

I would like to know about a $40 product that is out there which can be installed on a standalone PC. What is it called and where can it be obtained from?

--Nadia
Re: Which Oracle version for standalone PC [message #100253 is a reply to message #100149] Mon, 23 September 2002 11:41 Go to previous message
Winston Callan
I'm also running ME and I've spent a lot of hours going through this. There is a utility named lsnrctl.exe, (along with some others but this one is the immediate problem) that is missing. I've been all over the web and there's a lot out there on this and everything refers to that utility. I've been all through the Installer, you can see exactly what is and is not installed. It's not there. On the system it should be in oracle_homebin. There's a list, under Server Executables at http://otn.oracle.com/doc/windows/server.734/a55909/apa.htm?opt1_rb=NewUser. You'll see that there are several server utilities from the oracle_homebin directory missing. This doesn't happen when it is installed on Windows 2000.
I believe the listener itself is probably configured on your machine since you got through the net8 configuration. If so you'll have the listener.ora file at Oracle_homenetworkADMIN where Oracle_home is the directory in which you installed Oracle. Getting the listener running without that utility seems to be the problem. I'm sorry I couldn't offer any real help but I'm in contact with several people working on the same problem including the software people at the university I attend as well as the professor and teaching assistant. E-mail me with your address and I'll let you know what I learn and PLEASE e-mail me if you find a solution.

Winston
Previous Topic: Client Hardware recommendations
Next Topic: TNS : No Listener -------help newbie
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:11:37 CDT 2024