Home » Infrastructure » Windows » oracle9i
oracle9i [message #99914] Fri, 17 May 2002 23:06 Go to next message
Mehrdad Hosein
I want to install oracle9i on my computer,
but i don't know what software need to buy,
want to work database and i am new.
Re: oracle9i [message #99921 is a reply to message #99914] Mon, 20 May 2002 19:13 Go to previous message
Michael Sale
Although you can use windows 95, I would strongly suggest against it. You can easily install Oracle on any of the following Operating systems:
1. Windows NT with SP 6a
2. Windows 2000 with SP 2
3. Windows XP with latest security updates

Linux is not so easy to install as a beginner, but could be more applicable depending on your situation:
* Linux (Suse 7.1 with a patched kernel)

Other than that you really don't need any more software. You will want to make sure that you have an absolute bare minimum of 128M ram to do the install... this will run dirt slow. 256M ram is acceptable, and if you are going to do anything else on the box make sure you have 512M ram. You'll also want about 4gig of free disk for the install and the first database you'll create.

As a starer book you might want to get the Oracle Press beginner's guide. If you are not familiar with Unix then I'd strongly suggest that you at least go to some bookstore and get your questions answered from the book I co-authored: Oracle 9i on Windows 2000 Tips and Techniques.

You can download (it's a big one!) Oracle 9i Release 2 from http://otn.oracle.com or you can order a CD copy from the links there as well I believe. Have fun!

Previous Topic: oracle automation(0x800a01b8) error
Next Topic: troubles with database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:49:55 CDT 2024