Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Re: What is the Database Startup Password for 8i Personal Ed.?
Re: What is the Database Startup Password for 8i Personal Ed.? [message #99614] Sat, 26 January 2002 19:03 Go to next message
card
When I start my database I get a dialog box "Checking Security" followed by a box asking for a password. I tried "Oracle" as I read in a different article. Any help?? thanks
Re: What is the Database Startup Password for 8i Personal Ed.? [message #99821 is a reply to message #99614] Sat, 13 April 2002 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketul
I was getting same problem when i was trying to install oracle 8i on windows 98,
Actually if your oracle is not installed properly it will give this password prompt,
what happens is that oracle tries to create default database at the end of installation and if it is not successful installation is incomplete , installer has not set the default password to start database, so when you try to start database it will not find any password configured for autostartup so it will promt you for the password.
Solution:
first deinstall Oracle completely, delete all oracle directories (dont forget to delete oracle directories from d: e: etc.. if present) , then clean up your registry , run regedit and search for Oracle and delete all oracle entries.
now do typical installation of Oracle , if it gives any error message like .dll not found cancel your installation and do cleanup again and reinstall, It took me 3 attempts to install oracle but finally it was installed successfully.

I hope this helps you and make your life easier, feel free to mail me at ketul_gp@yahoo.com.

Best luck
Ketul Patel
Re: What is the Database Startup Password for 8i Personal Ed.? [message #100251 is a reply to message #99821] Mon, 23 September 2002 10:38 Go to previous message
Winston Callan
I came across your post and hoped that you might be able to help me. However I'm running Windows ME so maybe not. I'm able to configure Naming Methods, Listener, Service Name, etc. but when I try to do anything it tells me there is no listener. I'm missing the listener utility, lsnrctl.exe, for running the listener. Thanks in advance.
Winston
Previous Topic: Re: solution for JREW error on Pentium 4 installations
Next Topic: Client Hardware recommendations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:06:03 CDT 2024