Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Partitioning problems
Partitioning problems [message #93045] Thu, 17 October 2002 03:33 Go to next message
Steve
Hi,

I need to write some test scripts to ensure the thoroughness of some othe scripts that are used to add and drop existing partitions. Currently, there is a table with three partitions each of which hold the data pertaining to a month e.g. march, april, may. At the end of each month, the oldest of these partitions (march in this case) is dropped and a new partition is created to hold the latest month's data.

I am unsure as to what tests are required. My initial thoughts are to test for:
1. Tablespace running out of available space
2. Problems with indexing

Am I on the right track or should I be looking at it from a diff pov?

thanks in advance
Re: Partitioning problems [message #93054 is a reply to message #93045] Tue, 12 November 2002 07:38 Go to previous message
Sanjay Bajracharya
You can run the script around the 25th of the month. Best bet would be to have all the storage parameter in the table part so that just adding the partition will take the default storage param from the table.

As for running out of space in the tablespace, when you drop the old month, you will be recovering the space (since you are dropping it). Best bet would be to do a coalesce after the old month is dropped and before the new month partition is built. If you have enough room to breath, there should not be any problem with space as you are recycling the space.

Just that some of the months may have more data like April may have a little more, since this is the 1st month after the 1st Q. Similarly, Jan/Feb may be big as they are after the year.

Same goes for indexes.

Good luck.
Previous Topic: Urgent!!!Oracle Express Web Publisher
Next Topic: how to impert OLAP object (for example, cube) in ora9i?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:30:59 CDT 2024