Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation
java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #90953] Mon, 07 January 2002 00:27 Go to next message
Fabio
Hi, I don't have a solution about java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation that occurs occasionally. I'm using Linux, JRun3.1, jdk1.3.1, Oracle 8.1.7 and classes12.zip. Do you know if this configuration's environment could have same problems!? Thanks.- Fabio
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91025 is a reply to message #90953] Thu, 21 February 2002 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephen Jones
I've just upgraded to Oracle 8.1.7 and I'm having the same problems. Have you had a reply from anybody as yet?
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91027 is a reply to message #90953] Thu, 21 February 2002 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabio
hi,
i'm sorry but i've not found a solution about Protocol Violation Exception.. i've solved the problem caching query's results and limiting access to db. Now works fine! I think that this exception occurs when you have not enough memory free... i think that this is A reason-
bye F.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91052 is a reply to message #90953] Mon, 11 March 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John LaRoe
No solution here either. But so you shouldn't feel alone, this was something I had not seen until we upgraded to Oracle 8.1.7, too.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91054 is a reply to message #90953] Mon, 11 March 2002 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ross Stanley
Perhaps the jdbc drivers are specific to 8.1.X and need to be upgraded to 8.1.7?
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91058 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 12 March 2002 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vicky Yin
I met the same problem when I upgrade oracle to 8.1.7. However it was solved when I pointed my jdbc driver to the new version in the classpath.

Hope this help!
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91072 is a reply to message #90953] Thu, 21 March 2002 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EnterSSE
Ensure that all JDBC actions are properly handled in __one__ transaction. The closing of each and every created JDBC resource solved these problems for me. It might sound obvious, but this was the only way I got my program to work with the thin driver under Oracle 8i and 9i. By the way, the same program had had no problems with the oci driver and other JDBC drivers.

java.sql.Connection connection = DriverManager.getConnection(...);

// The following calls preferably in one method, to ensure prompt closure

java.sql.Statement statement = connection.createStatement();
java.sql.Resultset resultset = statement.executeQuery(sqlstatement);
while (resultset.next())
{
// collect your data here
}

resultset.close();
statement.close();

// end of method

// do other transactions processes with the connection

connection.close();
connection = null;

I think Oracle 9i JDBC implements some kind of connection pooling, so the performance hit 'cause of closing the connection after each use is minimal.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91077 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 26 March 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrishikesh Thombare
I downloaded the oracle thin driver for Oracle 8i and the error was gone. the error wa because I was using wrong classes111.zip. I should had used classes12.zip. You can get it from the following URL

Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91081 is a reply to message #90953] Wed, 27 March 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darrem
Hi Guys and Girls
I stumbled across your link when searching for a sol.
to this problem and thank you very much for the comments This is how I solved the problem.
I am using J Developer (don't laugh) anyway I am using jdbc:oracle:thin:@<serverlocaion>
I was getting the Protocol violation until I included the classes
Oracle 8.1.6 SDK JDBC NLS Support
this is really "nls_charset12.zip"
and
Oracle 8.1.6 SDK JDBC
really classes12.zip

Hope This Helps
Darren
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91207 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 28 May 2002 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madhu
hi i am using jdk1.3 on windows98, i am getting an exception called SQL_HANDLE_ENV SQCAllocHandle.
i dont know what is this so plz tell me how to get ridd of it
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91241 is a reply to message #91027] Thu, 13 June 2002 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umesh
Hi All,

I am also having "java.sql.sqlexception: Protocol Violation"

I am using thin Oracle client (classes12.zip) in Java program to access Oracle db. The program was working in the begining, but now I am having problem.

I think the problem is something to do with the Oracle database, because the same program has no problem connecting to another Oracle instance on the same machine. I have no idea how to resolve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91267 is a reply to message #90953] Mon, 24 June 2002 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
farizaa
Me too.. huarrgghh..
Please some one out there help me out.
I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 i tried to use Jdeveloper, it can connect but when i'm trying to use servlet.. it give me this error..
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91341 is a reply to message #90953] Fri, 19 July 2002 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad
I had the same problem too.

By added the classes12.jar to your project properties java libraries will solve the problem.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91510 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 15 October 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eva P
I tried to recompile ("create or replace...") all my functions and procedures, because I only saw this problem appear after I modified the tables in the database but failed to re-compile the stored code. I will keep monitoring to see if this solves the "protocol violation" - good luck to everyone.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation:-SOLUTION [message #91617 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 10 December 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Girish
ALL,

The problem of Protocol Voilation comes when you try to connect to Oracle and istead of getting response in recordset or execution there is a blockage appears. for example in Oracle if you have setup like changing userid after 90 days or 60 days. What happened is Oracle will start asking you a question that your password is expiring do you want to change it or not, It means Before connecting to Oracle JDBC is blocked by this question and Oracle needs an Answer yes or no before executing your Query. So, You have to either take the user id which never expires or see the setting in Oracle for such kind of things.

I Hope this helps you
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation:-SOLUTION [message #91686 is a reply to message #91617] Thu, 09 January 2003 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maggie
I think Girish's solution may be correct for some cases. The same problem of Protocol Violation has happened to me. I thought maybe it was because the keyword will expire, so I tried to solve the problem by changing the password. It worked. But after two months or so, today the exception happened again. And when I log into Oracle, there was no trouble and it didn't ask me any question. So there must be some other reasons that cause this problem. I use JSP, Oracle 9i in Unix environment. If somebody happens to have the same experience and knows the solution, please let me know. Thanks!
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #91878 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 17 June 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christophe CAILLEUX
Hi,
I have also the same problem : "protocol violation" occasionaly occurs for some obscure reason.
This error is often associated with 2 other errors : "java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum" and "java.sql.SQLException: Refcursor value is invalid".

I am using weblogic server 6.1, jdk 1.3.1, oracle 8.1.7 and jdbc thin driver 8.1.7 (or 9.2.0.3) on solaris 8.

Did you solve your problem ?

Thank you for any hint,

Regards,

Christophe
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation:-SOLUTION [message #92028 is a reply to message #91617] Mon, 09 February 2004 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsikrishna
Hi ,
I didnt face this problem but i am getting this problem when i am running my aplication.Please do me needful ..
Soon ..
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #92228 is a reply to message #91878] Sun, 25 April 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jose Luis
I have the same problem with Oracle thin driver, classes12.zip, jdk 1.4, oracle 8.1.7 and 9.2., Bea Weblogic 7.0 sp4.

Did you found a solution?

I use Prepared Statement, and the tables have columns BLOB and CLOB.

Thanks in advance,
Jose L
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation:-SOLUTION [message #92319 is a reply to message #91686] Thu, 03 June 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pragnesh gandhi
It is working well with oracle thin driver classes12.zip
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation:-SOLUTION [message #92561 is a reply to message #92319] Thu, 16 September 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dusan
I'm using JDBC via thin driver, JDK1.4.03, Oracle9 on Red Hat 9 and this problem appeared too.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #92713 is a reply to message #91027] Mon, 13 December 2004 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karthikeyan
You will get this exception only having problem with the versions.
See, you are having 8i oracle and 9i driver.
Please keep the server and the driver of the same version.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation:-SOLUTION [message #92717 is a reply to message #92028] Wed, 15 December 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samudrala Vinay Kumar
Hi This is vinay my application is working properly on Tomcat4.1 if i was changed this application to Pramati Server then it it giving this Error
Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation [message #92819 is a reply to message #90953] Tue, 08 February 2005 07:28 Go to previous message
vijayvarma
Sir i want to know what is the error for getting SQLException :20

I have got that message when i executed the jdbc drivers
Previous Topic: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
Next Topic: Jdeveloper help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:33:56 CDT 2024