Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » Capture design of form in designer 6i release 4.3: missing triggers
Capture design of form in designer 6i release 4.3: missing triggers [message #81576] Tue, 04 March 2003 02:33 Go to next message
Jeroen Dhaenens
Hello,

I am using reverse engineering to capture an existing Oracle Forms (4.5) environment into Designer. I already captured the database without a problem.
Firstly I convert the Forms to Forms 6i with patchset 10 since this version is compatible with my Designer-version 6i release 4.3.
Next I use 'Capture design of Form' in Designer to read these forms into my repository.
Unfortunatly, not all triggers are being captured. On most forms more then half of them cannot be found in the repository after capturing the form.
Does anyone have any idea why this could occur? I tried asking this on the metalink but they don't have a clue.
Re: Capture design of form in designer 6i release 4.3: missing triggers [message #81594 is a reply to message #81576] Tue, 04 March 2003 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JAFOD
The short simple answer is that "Forms Capture" in Designer is hit-or-miss at best. But beyond that, why anyone in their right mind would want to use Designer to generate more that the bare-bones starting point of a form is beyond me. It takes hours to do what can be done in a few minutes with the layout editor, adds a ton of garbage code to every trigger you write, and has a pl/sql editor that misses a lot more errors than it catches. On the other hand, you can't really expect the Oracle employees on Metalink (who are probably earning whatever the minimum wage in India is)to give you a straigth answer when the straight answer is "because the product is a piece of junk that does not do what it advertises".
Re: Capture design of form in designer 6i release 4.3: missing triggers [message #81600 is a reply to message #81576] Wed, 05 March 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeroen Dhaenens
Well our intention is not to start generating forms in the future.
The main reason why we need every form and it's triggers in the designer is so we can find unused objects and remove them from the database. If a procedure would only be used in 1 trigger in 1 form and that trigger is not read, it will show up as "unused" and wrongfully be deleted.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts though, i already had the feeling that designer and forms don't really mix well (both generating them and using reverse engineering).
Re: Capture design of form in designer 6i release 4.3: missing triggers [message #81602 is a reply to message #81576] Wed, 05 March 2003 03:29 Go to previous message
JAFOD
You might consider using a product called FormGrep to look for any instances of a given object in all of your .fmb, .mmb, .rdf, and .pll files. Allows you to look for multiple strings in up to 1000 files at a time, and the latest version will even let you do search and replace. You still have to recompile, of course, but it's still faster than doing the change one form at a time and comes in real handy if some management type suddenly decrees that "we are going to increase the allowable length of user names from 10 to 15 characters" and you need to search 1200 .fmbs for VARCHAR(10) local variables used to hold the username.

Manufacturer is August Tenth Software, free fully functional 30 day demo is available, and, IMHO, no Oracle shop should be without it. Will only add that I don't work for them, and don't usually go around touting software, but I use this neat little tool and love it, which is more than I can say for any Oracle product.

For more info visit:

http://www.aug10.com/products/formgrep/index.html

Regards,
Paul
Previous Topic: Oracle Designer with administrative tools
Next Topic: Capture packages in Designer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:01:13 CDT 2024