Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » testing performance of queries
testing performance of queries [message #65577] Mon, 01 November 2004 21:31 Go to next message
Milind Deshpande
Hi,

I would like to compare the performance of 2 queries (namely how long it takes to query large sets of data). Now, when I run the first query, it takes a considerable amount of time to run, but subsequent runs will be instantaneous. I believe this is due to the db caching the results. Then when I run the second query, it would be fast as well.

How do yo test performance when the db uses caching?

ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH BUFFER_CACHE doesnt work. Can SHARED_POOL be used instead of this or there is any other command. The version is Oracle 9.2.0.

Thanks

Milind
Re: testing performance of queries [message #65580 is a reply to message #65577] Tue, 02 November 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
You have to keep in mind the way these queries will be run in production environment.
If this query is run on a regular basis, touching and needing data that will be in memory anyway, then testing a clean buffer cache is useless.

If this query runs once a month and needs data that never is touched, then it has to load all data itself.

You see, it all depends. Performance tuning seldom means 'this is always right, that is always wrong'

hth
Re: testing performance of queries [message #65582 is a reply to message #65577] Tue, 02 November 2004 03:55 Go to previous message
Bruce McCartney
milind,
you can compare logical IO to see relative performance characteristics without disk access. logical IO is reported in sql_trace data or using sqlplus autotrace
Previous Topic: Oracle Data Block Size
Next Topic: Why not use analyze?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:02:45 CDT 2024