Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Database slow down at particular time
Database slow down at particular time [message #65239] Mon, 28 June 2004 03:25 Go to next message
Ravi
I have a production database, there is constant transaction going on 24hrs. But the database response goes down drastically from 10am to 12noon everyday. During other time the performance is very good. How do i find out what is the problem.

Thanks

Ravi
Re: Database slow down at particular time [message #65241 is a reply to message #65239] Wed, 30 June 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

According to me first of all u have to find out wht types of transactions going on in that time period and whether that transactions are facing any waits or contentions.

U can use the command column of v$session view to find out what type of work the users are doing in that period. If they are doing select than check the SGA hit ratios. And if u find low hit ratio than it means due to lot of selects the statements are flushing out from the SGA rapidly. On the basis of detailed analysis try to resolve the SGA memory issue.

And if u find that the transactions are doing lots of updated than check the contention of Rollback segments and redo and disk IO. you can use various v$ views for that. and concentrate on removing the issues related to this contention/waits.

By this approach you will get a way of finding the root of the cause, which is the main thing in performance tuning.

I hope that will help.

Daljit Singh
Re: Database slow down at particular time [message #65303 is a reply to message #65239] Tue, 27 July 2004 11:10 Go to previous message
Master P
Install and Run Statspack and look at your reports to find out what is the slowdown. It's quite easy to setup Statspack and find out the top 5 wait events, top 5 queries by Read, Logical I/O etc and go directly to the root of your problem.
Previous Topic: replication or not ?
Next Topic: Table Corruption? Is there as such?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:53:20 CDT 2024