Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » how to measure a database performance?
how to measure a database performance? [message #65150] Wed, 19 May 2004 03:07 Go to next message
Nabil
i'm newbie in tuning. i'd like to now if there is a method to know how to measure a database performance. because i don't know when changing a parameter (in the init.ora file) if the DB is going better or not.
Re: how to measure a database performance? [message #65151 is a reply to message #65150] Wed, 19 May 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

First of all be clear that by just changing some parameters you can't tune ur whole DB, and there is no inbuild formula to tune the DB. It really contains lots of efforts and knowledge.

The word DATABASE itself is too huge and you must know what you have to tune in it means where the problem exists.

Basiclly the funda is before changing any database setting make sure that the application accessing the DB is properly tuned and perfect. Proper indexes should be availabele. After that go for any waits and also check the amount of logical & physical reads try to increase the logical reads as much as u can. Check your whole SGA configuration. Check the various hit ratios. And all these tasks need thorough knowledge and time. According to me tuning is an ongoing process and as the size of your DB grows you have to consider how to handle it.

I hope it will help you and for more info refer oracle doc.

Daljit Singh
Re: how to measure a database performance? [message #65169 is a reply to message #65150] Sat, 29 May 2004 02:55 Go to previous message
pcgoud
tracing alert log file
Previous Topic: re: Oracle 8.0.6 - alter table move
Next Topic: REBUILD INDEXES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:45:30 CDT 2024