Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Ora-12500 on a Standby DB
Ora-12500 on a Standby DB [message #60033] Mon, 12 January 2004 00:49 Go to next message
Keir Hawker
Hi All,

I have just built myself a Standby database on a machine to mirror one of our live production dbs.  It's Oracle 8.1.7 on a windows 2k.

I ran a test version and it all seemed to work fine, from starting it, applying logs and then activating it.  However, when it comes to the real thing, I'm having a problem with the TNS listener.  It's truly bizarre.

I have created the standby database.  It's possible to mount it and then open it in read only mode so I know that the data is there.  However,  I'm only able to access it internally via Server Manager.

I tried adding the service through Net8, but it comes up with a "Ora-12500: TNS:Listener failed to start dedicated process".  This is particularly odd.  I have gone through 

<OL>
[*]stopped the tns listener, restarted it.  No change.
[*]deleted the listener and then recreated it.  No change.
[*]Restarted the whole server [[it is windows after all]]. No change.</OL>

The really peculiar thing is that, I can still tnsping it, but I just can't connect!  The listener logs show nothing out of the ordinary, only when it comes to a connection does an error come up :

12-JAN-2004 09:31:04 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=OBSSCRL.abingdon.orchid.com)(CID=(PROGRAM=D:oracleora81binSQLPLUS.EXE)(HOST=UKCUPS01)(USER=Administrator))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=172.23.10.7)(PORT=2409)) * establish * OBSSCRL.abingdon.orchid.com * 12500
TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
 TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error

Otherwise, there's not mention of anything before it.  I've looked all over metalink and this bulletin board for this kind of problem, but no one seems to have done this.  I know, I'm pretty special, but give me a break!!

Has anyone out there got any clues?  I would be incredibly greateful!!

Thanks very much in advance!

Keir Hawker

DBA

Re: Ora-12500 on a Standby DB [message #60042 is a reply to message #60033] Mon, 12 January 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
When I had a similar error on Sun Solaris,it was due to 'too many open files'.

For windows platform, Metalink Notes 224403.1 & 2064864.102 provides insight/resolution.

-Thiru
Re: Ora-12500 on a Standby DB [message #60059 is a reply to message #60042] Mon, 12 January 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keir Hawker
Thiru,

I didn't come across doc 224403.1 when I was going through Metalink. That solved my problem [[the actual service was corrupted and recreation was all it needed]]. Thanks very much, you've saved me a monumental headache!

I have one more question though regarding standby databases.

I plan on using managed recovery, i.e. the archive logs to be applied automatically. Once applied, is there any reason to hold onto the archvied log files? My questions is for reasons of storage. Theoretically, I should be able to leave the standby database indefinately to be updated [[monitoring closely of course]], but once the logs are applied, the file is of no further use, or should I keep them "on the off chance".

Thank you in advance.

Keir Hawker
DBA
Re: Ora-12500 on a Standby DB [message #60064 is a reply to message #60059] Tue, 13 January 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Keir,
Once the archived logs have been applied to the Standby database, they are not needed anymore and you could purge them after confirming through the query I posted earlier. Generally I hold onto the last 1-2 days worth of archievlogs,just becos I have space .

Opening the standby databases in READ ONLY mode on a regular basis is a good idea to make sure everything is going on as planned.

-Thiru
Re: Ora-12500 on a Standby DB [message #60066 is a reply to message #60064] Tue, 13 January 2004 04:10 Go to previous message
Keir Hawker
Hi Thiru.

Thanks, you're a gem.

>Opening the standby databases in READ ONLY mode on a regular basis is a good idea to make sure everything is going on as planned

That's exactly my thoughts as well. It's nice to be able to confirm. Hate being the only DBA :- )

Cheers for all your input.

Keir Hawker
DBA
Previous Topic: standby database
Next Topic: Standby Database Experience
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:45:25 CDT 2024