Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » connection of client pcs with server oracle database
connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665212] Sat, 26 August 2017 01:55 Go to next message
adil shakeel
Asalamualaikum.

Will any one please guide me how could I connect client pc with the oracle database onto server pc.

I have a shared folder and have wired netwrok.

i PICKED THE transnames.ora file from the server pc and put it into the client pc into the following path.

C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\

But its not connected

The error message is coming TNS:...........

SO PLEASE GUIDE ME ONTO THIS MATTER

Adil Shakeel
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665221 is a reply to message #665212] Sat, 26 August 2017 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:
OraFAQ Forum Guide
How to use {code} tags and make your code easier to read

Consider to set TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665223 is a reply to message #665212] Sat, 26 August 2017 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The method is to a large extent dependent on which client tool you are using. Is it, for example SQL*Plus? SQL Developer? Something else?
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665224 is a reply to message #665223] Sat, 26 August 2017 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
I used pl/sql* plus.

Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665225 is a reply to message #665223] Sat, 26 August 2017 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
I am using the PL/ SQL Developer
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665226 is a reply to message #665212] Sat, 26 August 2017 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
No need to post the exact same message three times.

Quote:
The error message is coming TNS:...........
No, that's not the message. The message would have been TNS-nnnnn (or ORA-nnnnn), with the 'nnnnn' being some number. And knowing what that number is is key to solving your problem. You have, in effect, posted this:

"I bought a car but cannot get it started. What's wrong with my car?"

Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665227 is a reply to message #665225] Sat, 26 August 2017 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
adil shakeel wrote on Sat, 26 August 2017 06:48
I am using the PL/ SQL Developer
Six minutes earlier you said

Quote:

I used pl/sql* plus.
Btw, there is no client named 'pl/sql* plus'. I assume you mean 'sqlplus'.
And the client product PL/SQL Developer is not an Oracle product. I'll further assume you mean "SQL Developer".

Either way, which is it, sqlplus or SQL Developer? If you are trying with both, we need to pick one and stick with it until you get the problem solved, then we can deal with the other.
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665233 is a reply to message #665227] Sat, 26 August 2017 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
SIR I JUST COPIED THE TRANNAMES.ORA FILE FROM THE FOLLOWING LOCATION

C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\NETWORK\ADMIN

AND THEN I PASTED THIS FILE AS IT IS INTO THE FOLLOWING LOCATION IN THE CLIENT PC.

C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN

But it did not work.

The folder onto the server is shared but the database is not being connected from the client pc.

will anyone please guide me?

the text in the transnames.ora file of server on which oracle is installed is written below:

XE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SERVER)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = CLRExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665234 is a reply to message #665233] Sat, 26 August 2017 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>But it did not work.
Above is 100% devoid of any actionable detail.

My car does not work.
Tell me how to make my car go.

If client system can not or does not access the shared server drive/folder, then root cause & fix are 100% external to Oracle & you need to contact your local Windows administrator for assistance.

Unless & until client can directly access the content of tnsnames.ora file, Oracle is the victim & not the culprit.
Post COPY & PASTE proof that client can directly access tnsname.ora file on the Windows server system.
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665236 is a reply to message #665234] Sun, 27 August 2017 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
the shared folder of the server in which all fmx files are available, can be accessed easily from all client PCS.
There is no networking related issue. Its confirm.
Even when I run the oracle same .fmx file name "Login", then there is no issue.
The software is working ok.
But when I access the same login file shortcut from the shared folder of server then it shows the login form but given following error.

TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

Software is runing when machine is same.

Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665237 is a reply to message #665236] Sun, 27 August 2017 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You must try to be more precise. You will never get anywhere in computing if you are not precise. For example, you said that you were using PL/SQL Developer. But now you talk about a .fmx file, which would be the Forms client.

You had better start again, with a simple SQL*Plus connection and move on to more complicated tools when you have that working. Start like this, and use copy/paste to show the result:

C:\Users\john>
C:\Users\john>tnsping orclz

TNS Ping Utility for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production on 27-AUG-2017 07:48:21

Copyright (c) 1997, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
C:\app\oracle\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (description = (address = (protocol = tcp)(host = 192.168.1.65)(port = 1521)) (connect_data = (service_name = orclz)))
OK (0 msec)

C:\Users\john>sqlplus system/oracle@orclz

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Sun Aug 27 07:48:23 2017

Copyright (c) 1982, 2016, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Last Successful login time: Sun Aug 27 2017 07:48:12 +01:00

Connected to:
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics, Real Application Testing
and Unified Auditing options

orclz>

Please use [code] tags to format your posts as described here How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read and another point: using religious greetings on a professional forum is usually viewed as serious a breach of etiquette.
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665238 is a reply to message #665237] Sun, 27 August 2017 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
Just guide me what to do / should be written into the transnames.ora file in the client machine so that its been connected to the oralce database installed onto the Server.
client PC has the following file named with transnames.ora at the following location:
C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\transnames.ora

Please guide me.
Re: connection of client pcs with server oracle database [message #665246 is a reply to message #665236] Sun, 27 August 2017 13:59 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
adil shakeel wrote on Sun, 27 August 2017 07:55

But when I access the same login file shortcut from the shared folder of server then it shows the login form but given following error.

TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

What is that "same login file shortcut"? Where does it point to? What is the contents of the target file? How do you run it (clicking on it in the shared folder which is mapped on your PC or did you first copy it to your PC and then click on it)?

Furthermore, it seems that you have Forms on your PC, and Forms can connect to the database. Is that correct? If so, it - obviously - uses information that is correct.

Note that every (as far as I can tell) Oracle product has its own TNSNAMES.ORA. It means that Forms, somewhere in its tree, also has and uses yet another copy of the TNSNAMES.ORA file. Search for it. Once you locate it, I'd suggest you to create an environment variable named TNS_ADMIN which will point to that directory. Or, maybe even better, put that file (TNSNAMES.ORA), as well as SQLNET.ORA into a new folder (such as c:\oralib) and let TNS_ADMIN point to it (here's how). Doing so, you'll instruct Oracle to check that directory first and use TNSNAMES.ORA file it finds in there. Also, you'll have to maintain only that single copy of the file (when adding new databases you connect to), instead of multiple ones.

Once you're done, all Oracle software you use (Forms, SQL*Plus, PL/SQL Developer, ...) should be able to establish connection.
Previous Topic: upgrading 11g to 12c on new windows server
Next Topic: Only one temp file is used
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:23:27 CDT 2024