Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage (oracle 11g r2 aix7)
install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655684] Thu, 08 September 2016 01:10 Go to next message
reyazan
I want to install oracle 11g r2 in aix 7 with san storage mount point .
How many number of mount point needed for best performance.
total size of database 2000 gb
Needed sepatate mount for data tablespace,undo,redo and temmfile ?

Re: install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655686 is a reply to message #655684] Thu, 08 September 2016 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Do you know and can configure how your mount points will be spread in the SAN storage?
If not then you don't care, and I should say, use ASM.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 01:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655687 is a reply to message #655686] Thu, 08 September 2016 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reyazan
Yes I can configure mount point maximum 12. and there is no ASM used
Re: install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655688 is a reply to message #655687] Thu, 08 September 2016 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't ask if you are able to create mount points, given the question I assume you can, I asked can you configure the SAN as you want?
If no, I advise you to use ASM.

[Edit:] In fact, anyway, I advise you to use ASM.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 01:29]

Re: install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655689 is a reply to message #655684] Thu, 08 September 2016 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Usually two mount points (or, better, ASM disk groups) is best: one for your db_create_file_dest and the other for your db_recovery_file_dest. It is for ease of admin, nothing to do with performance.
Re: install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655697 is a reply to message #655684] Thu, 08 September 2016 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpeasland

No one will be able to accurately answer how to configure your storage for performance reasons. Only you can. You have to monitor your disk utilization with your application, with your data, with your user base. Create a couple of mount points so that you can separate "hot" files from each other. This is a common approach. All that being said, I've seen successful, well performing deployments on just one mount point.

If you're concerned about disk performance, then what type of drives are you using? What kind of RAID level, if any? What kind of SAN connectivity? What kind of SAN zoning will you be doing? All of these questions come into play just as much as the number of mount points.

Cheers,
Brian
Re: install oracle 11g r2 on aix with san storage [message #655701 is a reply to message #655684] Thu, 08 September 2016 23:25 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
reyazan wrote on Thu, 08 September 2016 06:10

I want to install oracle 11g r2 in aix 7 with san storage mount point .
If you do not need to use ASM as your answer to Mr.Michel Cadot, you might choose the file-system. But, you are going to use the Storage, I have no idea of Local Storage or some LUN from SAN, or half of total of the SAN. Even all of them will be used, I do not often see the Oracle Single Instance running on it but also Oracle RAC at all. RAC is different to Single, of course, especially the Grid Infrastructure or Clusterware backward from 9i, 10g.

If you have an Single Database running on AIX with Storage and using the file-system, my comment: Ready to configure HACMP everytime when you have plan to use IBM's clusterware.

Quote:

How many number of mount point needed for best performance.
total size of database 2000 gb
Needed sepatate mount for data tablespace,undo,redo and temmfile ?
Your system, your plan, you know clearly than us.
However, you should to collect some infomations:

- What is your application? What is type of your application? Why do I ask? Because, there are many architecture of applications over computing. Some kind use Database as only data store with out calculating on it, there are not much of package, store procedure, function, not much complicated reference of constraints on tables, not much special objects such as MView, Clustered table, Partitioned Table, ..etc example: Comptel. But, many kind of applications transforms to Oracle Database but only not data store, they (application) usually do not doing more the processions mathematica operations, Oracle Database would be involed to use. Example: Billing, or some type of Core banking.
- Depend to your architecture overall, you can take an overview the Database design, and just simple to create standardized physical layout.

Hope this help.
TaT

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 23:27]

Previous Topic: ORA-01466 - but no one changed the table in question
Next Topic: Database scheduler to re-schedule the job
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:37:46 CDT 2024