Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup (11.2.0.4 SE, SLES SP2)
Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup [message #652637] Wed, 15 June 2016 05:31 Go to next message
juniordbanewbie
Dear all,

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/archredo.htm#ADMIN11335

Quote:

Start a new instance and mount, but do not open, the database.

STARTUP MOUNT
To enable or disable archiving, the database must be mounted but not open.

Change the database archiving mode. Then open the database for normal operations.

ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN; =>why must we open the database, reboot db again and do backup, shouldn't we just do the backup right after switching to archivelog?
Shut down the database.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
Back up the database.

why must we open the database, reboot db again and do backup, shouldn't we just do the backup right after switching to archivelog?

many thanks in advance

[Updated on: Wed, 15 June 2016 05:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup [message #652640 is a reply to message #652637] Wed, 15 June 2016 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
You are correct. I see no need to (as the quoted passage indicates) taking a cold or offline backup at this point. One should take *a* backup, and since you are now in archivelog mode, that could be an online backup. I would even argue that it *should* be an online backup.
Re: Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup [message #652641 is a reply to message #652637] Wed, 15 June 2016 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Until you have made the backup you are vulnerable to loss of data. It could be seen as irresponsible to keep the database open and permit people to work before the backup has been made.
Re: Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup [message #652645 is a reply to message #652640] Wed, 15 June 2016 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juniordbanewbie
Dear Ed,

what I mean is
originally it is like this
Quote:

STARTUP MOUNT

Change the database archiving mode. Then open the database for normal operations.

ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

Shut down the database.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE=>why reboot
Back up the database.=>we can do a online backup here, meaning db can be open

shouldn't we do the following:

STARTUP MOUNT

Change the database archiving mode.

-->backup database before opening the database
->shouldn't we backup the database while database is mounted and in archivelog, why must database be rebounded again and backup again.

John I agree with you that we need to backup the database offline while it is still in non archive mode.
thanks
Re: Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup [message #652647 is a reply to message #652645] Wed, 15 June 2016 08:53 Go to previous message
John Watson
Quote:
John I agree with you that we need to backup the database offline while it is still in non archive mode.
thanks
Absolutely wrong. Backups made in noarchivelog mode are useless following the change. That's the whole point.
Previous Topic: sql developer backup
Next Topic: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:43:42 CDT 2024