Home » Other » Marketplace » DBA vs Developer
DBA vs Developer [message #633919] Fri, 27 February 2015 16:55 Go to next message
hanzosbm
Hello all,

This is my first time posting here and I'm trying to learn a bit more about the differences, pros, and cons of the DBA vs Developer route. First, let me explain a bit more about my situation.

I am currently working as a contractor supporting an application and database built by my boss which is essentially an e-commerce site running on APEX. Right now, I wait for phone calls about a problem (usually that a user did something wrong), run some basic queries, find out what went wrong, and fix it. I took a 5 day course on SQL Fundamentals and most of the time, I can take care of these issues, but when I can't, I call my boss. I recently also got my Security+ certificate.

This job has been going on for about 6 months and is my first forray into anything computer related, so I am very ignorant to this world. My boss has now told me that I need to start picking up some certifications but is leaving it up to me regarding which direction I go. She is heavy into Oracle, so it makes sense to go that direction for any future contracts that might come up, but she is leaving it up to me to decide on the DBA vs Developer path. The problem is, my experience is so insignificant that I cannot intelligently make a decision. I've tried to read up on it on Oracle's site, but based on the volume of technical jargon, I assume they expect you to already be heavily working in the field.

From what I've been able to gather, a DBA designs, builds, and maintains a database whereas a Developer creates software that interfaces with the database. I know that's a VERY simplistic view on things.

So, first, can the members here help to shed some light on what these two roles do? Can you give some kind of an idea as to the day to day life of each? What about pros and cons regarding working conditions, pay, job opportunities, etc?

I would really appreciate any information you can all offer me to help me make this determination.
Re: DBA vs Developer [message #633932 is a reply to message #633919] Sat, 28 February 2015 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
You could do some reading about Roles and Responsibilities.
Re: DBA vs Developer [message #633939 is a reply to message #633919] Sat, 28 February 2015 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hanzosbm
Hello Lalit Kumar,
Thank you very much for that resource, the information on DBAs was extensive and very enlightening. The section on Developers was a little sparse however. Do you happen to know of any resources that would speak more in depth about Developers?
Re: DBA vs Developer [message #633957 is a reply to message #633939] Sun, 01 March 2015 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Developers have fun. The life of a DBA is a life of pain.
Re: DBA vs Developer [message #633958 is a reply to message #633957] Sun, 01 March 2015 03:35 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Then DBAs would love the pain as much as they love their job/role/responsibility. Smile

By the way, I really like a quote of yours:

John Watson wrote on Thu, 05 December 2013 00:38
Many people claim to have administered a database for years with no problems, when all they have been doing is watching it administer itself.
Previous Topic: Real-timeReporting of Oracle EBS data from within Excel - Spreadsheet Server
Next Topic: New version of OraDump-to-Excel converter is available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:32:32 CDT 2024