Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman restore to new server / different filesystem (solaris)
rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624471] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:20 Go to next message
smac
I am trying to clone across servers.
I have copied a rman hot backup set across to new server with controlfile backup.

The servers have completely different filesystems so a straight forward duplicate backup location is not enough and using the spfile parameters to convert filenames and logfiles.

How do I use duplicate database to 'DUP' backup location '/abc/123/' when I need to specify new file system points for each datafile.
I have tried to use set newname but says I cannot use duplicate database.

what is the correct way of completing this excersise ?
thanks
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624472 is a reply to message #624471] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
What instructions are you following? Is, for example, these:
http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/BRADV/rcmdupad.htm#BRADV442
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624473 is a reply to message #624472] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smac
Thanks John I have looked at this, but my problem is I cannot connect to target.
I am trying to
rman auxiliary /
run{
set newname for datafile 1 `xxxxx`
set newname fro datafile 2 'bbbbbb'
duplicate database to 'DUP' backup location 'aaa/bbb/'
logfile
}

when I try to point at backup location it will not allow action.
I have completed similar clones but only when using similar file system structure and using convert parameters in SPFILE.

the file system is different for most of data files so need to be set before the duplicate called.

where am I going wrong ?
thanks
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624475 is a reply to message #624473] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
where am I going wrong ?
You are wrong in several ways Smile
First, you are not formtting your posts. Please read and follow How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read
Second, this Quote:
it will not allow action.
is not an Oracle error message. You need to show what s actually happening.
Third, this Quote:
location 'aaa/bbb/'
is not a fully qualified path, it does not begin with a /.
Fourth, this Quote:
I cannot connect to target.
is not an Oracle error message.

You need to show what you are actually doing, and what the result is. Use copy/paste, enclosed within [code] tas.
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624477 is a reply to message #624475] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smac
Sorry can see the confusion here ..
rather than go through the procedure can you tell me is it possible to use duplicate with a backup location when trying to rename the datafiles and place in different file system locations ?
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624480 is a reply to message #624477] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Yes it is possible.

Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624481 is a reply to message #624480] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smac
can you point me to an example of this Michel ?
thanks

Do I need to catalogue the backup set and then do the set newname and restore database rather than trying to use auxiliary and backup location ?

[Updated on: Tue, 23 September 2014 03:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624490 is a reply to message #624481] Tue, 23 September 2014 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
SET NEWNAME

SWITCH DATAFILE ALL

What errors are you getting? Specifically ORA-XXXXX?

HTH
-g
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624492 is a reply to message #624490] Tue, 23 September 2014 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smac
my objective:
I have a new server.
I have a hot backup set copied to disk area.
I startup database nomount
I connect rman auxiliary /

I need from this point to duplicate database from the backup location on disk.

when I set newname for datafile 1 ....
duplicate database to 'DUP' backup location '/u01/BACKUP/2014_09_12'

Error is that I should use duplicate target not duplicate database..

As I have no target only backup set what do I do ?
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624495 is a reply to message #624492] Tue, 23 September 2014 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
I think you're getting fixated on "duplicating" a database. What you are trying to do is Restoring a Database on a New Host.

Incidentally, what version of Oracle are you running?
-g
Re: rman restore to new server / different filesystem [message #624497 is a reply to message #624492] Tue, 23 September 2014 04:15 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You do not duplicate in this case, you restore in another server.

Read
Restore and Recovery of the Database on a New Host (10gR2)
Restoring a Database on a New Host (11gR2)

Please, always mention your Oracle version in your topics.

Previous Topic: Flashback Database error
Next Topic: RMAN-06571: datafile 1 does not have recoverable copy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:00:27 CDT 2024