Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC 11g new install...newbie question (11gr2 on OEL 5.8)
RAC 11g new install...newbie question [message #624330] Sun, 21 September 2014 14:02 Go to next message
daveinnj
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to install a two node RAC based on
http://oracle-base.com/articles/11g/oracle-db-11gr2-rac-installation-on-oel5-using-virtualbox.php

and have a question about the scan listener. When I go to install the GRID component on node 1, I'm asked for each node and a scan listener.
I've put a name there, but the GRID install seems to be looking for an actual HOST with that address. But I only have two hosts, RAC 1 and RAC 2. Both have an internal and external address, but this SCAN host confuses me. Can anyone tell me why GRID install is looking for a SCAN host? I thought it was install it for me.
Re: RAC 11g new install...newbie question [message #624332 is a reply to message #624330] Sun, 21 September 2014 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

That very well known article describes how to define the SCAN address, as entries in your /etc/hosts file. The article says to give three addresses, which is wrong. If you read the RFC that describes the hosts file, you'll see that only one address is permitted for any one name. But you can ignore that, it will work as written. Just follow the instructions. For basic self-tuition purposes it will be OK.
Re: RAC 11g new install...newbie question [message #624333 is a reply to message #624332] Sun, 21 September 2014 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daveinnj
Okay, I have the message now, I couldn't get it before.
I'm using the HOSTS file because I don't really have control of DNS; therefore I think I need the cluster name to match the short scan name from /etc/hosts.
Thanks for pointing the direction.
Re: RAC 11g new install...newbie question [message #624334 is a reply to message #624333] Mon, 22 September 2014 01:20 Go to previous message
John Watson
The cluster name is an arbitrary string, it has no relationship with any other name. You can change the SCAN at any time.
Previous Topic: RAC 12c:ORA-01031: insufficient privileges as sys user
Next Topic: 11gr2, AIX 7.1, root.sh failed on node 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:27:58 CDT 2024