Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Transparent Gateways or Heterogeneous Services (Oracle to SQL Server)? (SQL Server 2008 on windows2008 server, Oracle 11g R2 on linux)
Transparent Gateways or Heterogeneous Services (Oracle to SQL Server)? [message #618085] Mon, 07 July 2014 10:42 Go to next message
chetankumar
Hello

We want to connect to SQL server 2008 database from Oracle 11g R2 database (using database link)

I understand we have 2 options
1) Oracle provided gateways for specific databases  (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18283_01/gateways.112/e12013/installsql.htm)
Would this need a separate license?
Do I need to install any drivers on Windows server hosting SQL Server database?
I understand I will need to install it from OUI 
I can't see initdg4msql.ora means it is not installed on the Oracle server. Is that correct?

2) Transparent Gateways (DG4ODBC)
I see initdg4odbc.ora in $ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin but again not sure if it is included in Database license and over it I need to install anything on the Windows server hosting SQL Server database?

3)Heterogeneous Services 
Here we need 3rd party ODBC drivers like from datadirect and in this we configure inithsodbc.ora
Why I can't see "inithsodbc.ora" at $ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin on my database?

Please suggest which of the above option won't need separate license and not much software installation

Thank you

Kind Regards
Chetan
Re: Transparent Gateways or Heterogeneous Services (Oracle to SQL Server)? [message #618148 is a reply to message #618085] Tue, 08 July 2014 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chetankumar
Hello

Following link suggest that over the transparent gateway (DG4ODBC) we will need 3rd party drivers and thus would need a separate license

Quote:

How to Configure DG4ODBC on 64bit Unix OS (Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX Itanium) to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install (Doc ID 561033.1)

Isn't there a way to connect "SQL Server 2008 Enterprise" from Oracle 11g R2 on linux-64, without 'additional' software license?

Thanks and Regards
Chetan

Thanks and Regards
Chetan
Re: Transparent Gateways or Heterogeneous Services (Oracle to SQL Server)? [message #618150 is a reply to message #618148] Tue, 08 July 2014 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chetankumar
Hello

I understand that there are 2 type of gateways

1) Specific Oracle Database Gateway - This needs separate license
2) Database Gateway for ODBC - This needs third party drivers

If this is correct, could you please suggest if for option 2 above, I would get third party driver without separate license?
I assume datadirect provides 'software drivers' but it needs license and free trial is available only for 15 days

Is there other way to achieve the connectivity?

Please suggest

Kind Regards
Chetan

Re: Transparent Gateways or Heterogeneous Services (Oracle to SQL Server)? [message #618152 is a reply to message #618150] Tue, 08 July 2014 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is there other way to achieve the connectivity?
PERL can inter-operate against both DBs concurrently.
Re: Transparent Gateways or Heterogeneous Services (Oracle to SQL Server)? [message #618159 is a reply to message #618152] Tue, 08 July 2014 11:56 Go to previous message
chetankumar
Hello Blackswan

Thanks for your reply

We do not have team resource with PERL skills! Sad

Meanwhile could you please confirm if my understanding as mentioned above is correct?
Meaning pay for license of "specific database gateways" or use generic 'database gateway for odbc' and over it pay for 3rd party drivers?

I read about "freetds" but not sure it is free and error free, as not much information is available on it

Few years back I used "datadirect" drivers with heterogeneous services to achieve connectivity between Oracle and SQL server
But it was for academic purpose and I did not bother for using free software for 15 days!

Thanks and Regards
Chetan
Previous Topic: How to configure MGW to specific MQ.
Next Topic: ORA-12154 error coming while loading forms in browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:43:29 CDT 2024